What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's my 2 terrariums

Well, here are my two terrariums, and I love 'em very much. If ya wanted to know, one is in my bathroom, and the other on the large windowsill in my room (don't worry, it's covered by reflective stuff, so no light can enter it and steam it up).

Here's my first succesful terraria that I started about a month ago:

terraria5.jpg

And it's lighting systems which is two 26 watt compacts and two 15 watt tubes (looked at from below):

terraria5lights.jpg

And here's my newest terrarium which will soon fill up (donations welcome
smile_n_32.gif
)

terria6.jpg

As you can see from my reflection where I am waving, the stuff on the back is pretty reflective.

And here's the lights (two 42 watt compacts):

terria6lights.jpg

I want to fill up this second terrarium with mostly terrestrial utrics, and right now I have a D. aliciae and an unknown utric in it (which I think is U. subulata).

-Ben

looks sweet... very nice
smile.gif

how do you manage the temps?

For the first one, I just rely on the lights to do all the heating, and it stays at around 80*F (30*C) all day, and dropping 10* at night. For the second terrarium, the lights don't seem to be working as well with heating the tank, and right now it's at 72* F. But, I noticed after I got a bunch of plants into my 1st terrarium, the humidity and the temp seem to have settled down nicely. Though, I may go with the suggestion in the SG and get a small bottle, fill it with water, and put a small aquarium heater in it.

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Dec. 31 2005,5:09)]For the first one, I just rely on the lights to do all the heating, and it stays at around 80*F (30*C) all day, and dropping 10* at night.  For the second terrarium, the lights don't seem to be working as well with heating the tank, and right now it's at 72* F.  But, I noticed after I got a bunch of plants into my 1st terrarium, the humidity and the temp seem to have settled down nicely.  Though, I may go with the suggestion in the SG and get a small bottle, fill it with water, and put a small aquarium heater in it.

-Ben
The most likely reason the second terrarium isn't heating up as much is because fewer plants means less photosynthesis. The more plants, the warmer the terrarium will be because of photosynthesis. Nice setup also. Looks like those grow hoods are doing well for you too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dewy @ Dec. 31 2005,5:44)]The more plants, the warmer the terrarium will be because of photosynthesis.

Ah, that's interesting. I thought only animals made warmth. Whenever I take a whiff of my tank, it smells rather nice, which I suppose is the large amount of O2.

And the thing is that I only use the grow hood that you suggested on the second tank. I made a few modifications on a different reptile hood to make it look like the one I have on the second tank. (It took quite a bit of dis-assembly
smile_l_32.gif
)

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Dec. 31 2005,5:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (dewy @ Dec. 31 2005,5:44)]The more plants, the warmer the terrarium will be because of photosynthesis.

Ah, that's interesting.  I thought only animals made warmth.  Whenever I take a whiff of my tank, it smells rather nice, which I suppose is the large amount of O2.

And the thing is that I only use the grow hood that you suggested on the second tank.  I made a few modifications on a different reptile hood to make it look like the one I have on the second tank.  (It took quite a bit of dis-assembly  
smile_l_32.gif
)

-Ben
From what I understand,as they photsynthesize,plants produce a small amont of heat and humidity in addition to O2 and other gases.

Excellent looking terrariums Ben! I'm sure that second tank will fill up in no time
smile_n_32.gif

Your Cape Sundew seems to be really taking off. I can remember the first pictures you took and what a difference now!

By the way, are those 10 gallons?

Nice looking terraria.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]For the second terrarium, the lights don't seem to be working as well with heating the tank, and right now it's at 72* F.

72F is good for most tropicals and may actually enable you to grow a wider-variety of plants, especially those that prefer cooler daytime temps.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Jan. 01 2006,4:26)]Excellent looking terrariums Ben! I'm sure that second tank will fill up in no time
smile_n_32.gif

Your Cape Sundew seems to be really taking off. I can remember the first pictures you took and what a difference now!

Yup, my cape 'dew and the U. livida, and the baby 'dews, and the rescued vft...
smile_n_32.gif

Yes, those are 10 gallons.

chloroplast, I was a bit worried that it was too cool for some plants, but you reassurred me. When the heating comes on in my house, it goes up to 74*-75*, and the humidity seems to stay at around 40%, but when some more plants are introduced into the terrarium, they should help to raise it a bit.

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Jan. 01 2006,3:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Jan. 01 2006,4:26)]Excellent looking terrariums Ben! I'm sure that second tank will fill up in no time
smile_n_32.gif

Yup, my cape 'dew and the U. livida, and the baby 'dews, and the rescued vft...
smile_n_32.gif

Yes, those are 10 gallons.

chloroplast, I was a bit worried that it was too cool for some plants, but you reassurred me.  When the heating comes on in my house, it goes up to 74*-75*, and the humidity seems to stay at around 40%, but when some more plants are introduced into the terrarium, they should help to raise it a bit.

-Ben
D.capensis and D.adelae grow like a WEED when in cooler conditions(around 70-74 degrees). As you put more plants into the terrarium,the humidity should rise to around 50%-60%.
dewy

Ok, thanks for all the info. After I added my U. gibba in its glass bowl, the temp & humidity have gone up a bit.

Here's a pic of my D. capensis now:

narrow_plant2.jpg

(It doesn't grow on that windowsill, I just put it there to get some light into the pic.)

And one of its very dewy leaves:

narrow_leaf2.jpg

-Ben

Looking very nice with lots of dew.
dewy

Great looking Cape Sundew Ben! You're definitely getting the hang of things.

Thanks guys. I'm hoping that this guy will flower again soon, and then I can collect some seeds and grow some more.
smile.gif

-Ben

Hello,

They are looking really nice keep up the good work.

Thanks
-Jeremiah-

Back