What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with indentifying if your nep is about to flower

Flowers on nepenthes grow from the apical bud - but since the flower is the terminus of the vine, in order to keep growing, the nep must activate a side bud. Even before you can see the flower, you'll be able to tell if your vine is about to flower if you see an activated side node. This may not apply to both, but it certainly seems to work with neps with large internodal spaces as you can see here in this N x Rokko and N x aristo x thorelli. I hope this information helps.

N x Rokko - Observe the activated side node:
cp-sep2010-closeup001.jpg

N x Aristolochioides x Thorelli:
cp-sep2010-closeup002.jpg

cp-sep2010-closeup003.jpg

cp-sep2010-closeup004.jpg

Thank you. This will be helpful for me in the future!

My rebecca soper did that too when it flowered :)

I think that the tendil is still inside the leaf. I believe that that nod isnt activated. But Congratz on the flower! WHats the sex?

Nate is correct, there is another leaf in development along with the flower, that node is just there and rather common in many nepenthes along the main vine... It is not activated, but rather a dormant node..

Yeah, I guess you're right. I thought that after flowering, the axial bud activated, but that doesn't appear to be the case. It seems as if the apical bud splits and one side flowers while the other continues to grow leaves.

Back