What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help - No Roots!

Jefforever

A yellow M&M
I just got a Nepenthes Hamata (Wistuba, Clone 4)! - But it's lacking a root system. N. Hamata is harder than other neps in my experience; I lost a healthy established plant during the spring of '06.

I would appreciate any advice on rooting a small plantlet.

It's soaking in Superthrive right now, and I plan to stick it straight into a mix of 70% LFS and 30% of well draining media. Unless I get better advice. :help:

Now for pics...:

In Superthrive -

IMG_1289.jpg

No roots -

IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

Thanks!

I would use some Clonex rooting hormone if you are terribly concerned about the N. hamata. I have received plants much like the one shown and they develop just fine. At that size, there are few roots to really work with. Simply keep the humidity at high levels and the compost mix you describe sounds perfectly adequate.

I received a shipment from Wistuba this very day with some similar conditions . . .

I got a cephalotus that had no roots just like your hamata and i just planted it and it grew fine

Thanks for your responses.

So if I don't have Clonex rooting hormone would something like Rootone or TakeRoot work the same?

Should I cut the stem so the rooting hormone gets in better?

what was the total cost btw?

And no I think you should just leave it the way it is and plant it. It has tiny roots that you can't see most likely and in time it will grow its own roots by itself

Thanks for your responses.

So if I don't have Clonex rooting hormone would something like Rootone or TakeRoot work the same?

Should I cut the stem so the rooting hormone gets in better?

No, don't cut anything. Simply plant it with or without the rooting hormones. The only reason I've used Rootone over others is the fungicide associated with the product. I usually treat Nepenthes cuttings with both a fungicide and rooting hormone; but keep in mind that the roots on even mature plants are fairly small.

Ok, I didn't know they were so small for this species.

Elsantaclause - I traded for it; several pings, a couple drosera, and a load of utrics.

Thanks again, both of you!

By the way, how long do you think it will take till I see roots?

Ok, I didn't know they were so small for this species.

Elsantaclause - I traded for it; several pings, a couple drosera, and a load of utrics.

Thanks again, both of you!

By the way, how long do you think it will take till I see roots?

Simply look for new growth. Nepenthes are often slow to establish roots. I've had cuttings which have produced several leaves before any significant root system . . .

Don't pick at it and it will heal . . .

TLC, TLC, TLC. thats all i can say. think of it as a cutting, no roots, but they will grow!

Just a thought... treat it like a cutting and keep in a container of water until it starts roots?

my seedgrown Hamata better have roots <_< lol

my seedgrown Hamata better have roots <_< lol

Lets hope so. Also pray that it's female!

Jimscott - I've never tried doing cuttings in water, as the perlite method works just fine for me.

I'd probably mess up and end up with a dead hamata, again!

then pot it up in normal nep media, if it is meant to be, it shall grow for you? xD im sure it will be fine

I have gone 3 for 3 with water for Nep cuttings and have two more sitting in water. It's seeds that I can't do worth a lick!

Don't worry Sk..ur seed grown one WILL have roots. No...I don't have one...but this one is from TC which explains the lack of roots as the plant didn't have to bother digging in to obtain nutrients and media. The seed grown one...obviously was grown in media for atleast an yr or so to get to the size that Rob showed so you should be fine. ;)

@Jefforever,

Good luck with the plant man. I have nothing much to say since all the advice has been given already. But...I have got a few offshoots of neps (ramispina etc) which looked like that. Stem but no roots. It took a month to start growing. But pot it up in a live sphagnum media and give it atleast 80% - 90% humidity with good air circulation. The plant will DEFINITELY recover as it looks really healthy.

I have gone 3 for 3 with water for Nep cuttings and have two more sitting in water. It's seeds that I can't do worth a lick!

With seeds it's all about patience. I finally got some N. Sanguinea seeds from the Genting Highlands to sprout. IT TOOK AROUND 5 MONTHS. And it felt like more, wasting my precious growing space...

Same thing w/ tuberous drosera, I waited about 1.5 years and got nothing. And then I threw the pots out. :crap: I should have waited.

Thanks for the encouragement, Varun.

Back