What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Me Identify a Possible Pest

Maxx

Someday is not a day of the week.
Hi,

I recently noticed some abnormal and deformed growth on my S.Alata and N.Sabre. I'm not sure if its a pest problem, but if it is then I would like to know what kind of pest it is and how to control it. Thanks.

As you can see, this newest leaf is much smaller and more decrepid than the others.
Pest+001.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic, but one side of this pitcher is completely gone. It seems like it was chewed off by something.
Pest+002.jpg

well, the nep pest could be just a simple lack of water, or possibly a change in conditions or something like that. See what the leaf after it does and then start worrying. ;)

The sarra is something i get a lot on my alatas too. Maybe a grasshopper or something like that. Nothing deathly, just not pleasent to look at. Try some soapy water or something weak like that if you want...

By further investigation, I believe I've identified thrips. Would this be okay to use against them?

Image00001.jpg

If it is indeed thrips, that could be a major issue. I have problems here with thrips in the garden. They spread the tomato wilt disease, only 1/4 of my tomatoes lived this year. As far as pesticides, I haven't heard of any. As a preventive it's said to eliminate all weeds in the area, which is impossible for me due to a 12 acre field being next to me, or using man made reflective mulch. The reflective mulch is supposed to confuse them because it shines light under the leaves.

Crystal

By further investigation, I believe I've identified thrips. Would this be okay to use against them?

Image00001.jpg

Thrips are listed on the product literature so it should work. I've not personally used that product so I could not say how safe it is to use on CPs. I've used the Dual Action Rose and Flower Insect Killer with few harmful effects.

If you can find it Spinosad is effect against thrips and appears to be fairly benign.

It should work although I don't know how fast. I have used Ortho products with great success. Look on the label for acephate as the active ingredient and follow the label directions. As with ANY product your spraying with make sure the plant is in a cooler environment and sprayed in the morning so it has time to dry by night. Spraying anything in the hot full sun will burn the #$% out of the leaves.

i just looked up that Spinosad stuff and it really seems to be the shizle. The sad thing is that once I found the price I had to say no. $150 Qt !!!!!!!!! Figures.

I didn't see acephate on the active ingredients list, but I'll still try it out. I went to Armstrongs and they didn't have Orthene (which was what I wanted) so I got this.

The Bayer stuff contains Imidacloprid - another common systemic insecticide.

You're not going to find acephate (Orthene) in a non-Ortho product.

If you want a list of products with Acephate in it just do a search on Pesticideinfo.org

$11.75 a pint

Back