What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*help* making droso hybrids

*help* making drosera hybrids

....oh boy, i get to make yet another first endeavor very soon. *need help*

Looks like one of my dielsiana and one of my nidiformis are making seedstalks at the same time and they are planted very close to each other. Anyone have any advice or tips to help make this endeavor a success? I think someone said all i have to do is touch the flowers together and the magic happens...is that accurate?

i have seen this hybrid before and it looks nice so instead of purchasing it I think i will try my hand at manufacturing it. :)

Last edited:
lol i thought you were gonna try to make hybrids of drosophyllum..... :lol:

oops....i heard someone say droso as short for drosera and assumed it was a universal term....doh!

short for drosera is "dews" ;)

your theoretical hybrid should work considering these dews have similar life strategies, as well as living close to each other, making them related to some degree.

there are nidiformis x dielsiana hybrids floating around already so i know it can be done......mainly just need some tips for best way to pollinate. I seen somewhere that all I need to do is touch the flowers together...is that true or do I need to get in there with a small paint brush to get the pollen off of one and put it on the other?

probably need to make a new thread

or you could just ask the mods to change the title and delete the other thread :X

Pollinating drosera is pretty easy as long as you know what your doing. The pollen amount in Drosera is often very small and quite hard to see. Just touching the flowers together won't be a complete confirmation that pollination has occurred. I trick that I do is by handling the two flowers and touching each stamen to one of the female parts on the other flower. While you may not see the pollen, you can be sure that pollination has occurred. Just make sure you have a steady hand! One bump and you may have some pure nidformis instead of Nidformis X dielsiana :X. The male flower parts should look a little yellowish so you'll know which is which if you've observed other flowers before ;).

Back