What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Alberta, Canada

Greeting to all of you fine TF folk,

I thought I'd take the time to do a proper introduction, since I have been spending more and more time on this wonderful forum of yours. I spend most of my time on the OCPS forum in Canada, but also check out some of the other CP forums, from time to time.

Cp's have been a passion of mine for about five years now, so I am still relatively new to the hobby. Though Nepenthes, Heliamphora and Pinguicula are the CP's I am most interested in, like the rest of a lot of you, I also dabble in most of the other CP genera. I am particularly fond of the highland and ultra highland Neps, and maybe that is a good thing, considering our usually toned down local temperatures. I found that when I first got into this hobby, (some would call an obsession) finding CP's other than vft's and the odd Sarracenia was quite the challenge. And because of the after effects of 9-11, getting plants into Canada from the States, had pretty much become a thing of the past. Thus I was forced to order from Europe, and that is where the bulk of my collection has been gathered from. The good news is that a certain reputable CP vendor in Canada has recently started to make some of the rarer Nepenthes species available, and that has done a lot to energize the CP scene here in Canada.

So with all of that said, it is good to be aboard the TF forum, and I look forward to sharing CP info and experiences with all of you.

welcome to TF! :welcome:

Hey dvg, nice to see your days of Lurking on TF are over. You have a wionderful collection, especially neps hehe if only I could have something like yours :p Welcome!! Yes the CP scene is only starting to begin but its going by quickly!

I don't think a proper introduction is due, Dvg, you've been here for quite a while :D Welcome anyways! Hahaha

welcome to TF!

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to welcome me here!

Yet another canadian joins the party, you'll find a lot of nep enthusiasts here, with plenty to talk about :D A little late for an intro? Decided to test the waters before riding the waves ;) Big welcome aboard

Hey thanks Bloke. Actually, I'd registered in a few CP forums late last year, but then just never got around to even checking them out. I think it has been the recent Canadian presence on this forum that has convinced me to check it out a bit more, and thanks agin for the positive welcome.

Oh great, more Canadians...

Welcome, and good that you're going to be posting more often.

Thanks again guys for the warm welcome! One of the reasons I like this forum is for some of the unique educational and entertainment programming showcased here...namely The Dr. Pheel Show and the equally well scripted and entertaining Dr. von Guttenberg show. I just don't have access to those channels in Canada so I'm forced to tune in here on TF to get my weekly fix. Keep up the good work guys!

You should have seen the last episode, A Byblis was contemplating cutting off his flowers! And that was followed up by a Nepenthes Bicalcarata that thought he/she (yet to be determned, until flowering, which made him/her even more confused) was a Hamata. I think that episode got more hits than Oprah!

Dang! I'm gonna have to get TIVO or something so I don't miss those episodes! They always play the good ones when I'm out doing something!

And that was followed up by a Nepenthes Bicalcarata that thought he/she (yet to be determned, until flowering, which made him/her even more confused) was a Hamata.

I've seen pics of Bicals with six or eight nectar fangs before, but a hamata, c'mon. Someone should tell he/she to take a good look in the dental mirror!

I have observed a Bical with 5 fangs you could say it was a pentacarata ;)

Stay tuned as Dr. Irving Von Guttenberg is returning to Canada!!! after a long stay at his mothers basement with Mr Meowingting, lord Meowingting of Catsbury, Leutinant Fuzzypaws, and the other 94 cats she has, in Switzerland!

I'll definitely be tuned in....riveting broadcasting indeed!

Hope the good doctor doesn't cough up a hairball on tonight show though....

Back