What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello everybody! im a newbie!

biggrin.gif
Hello everybody,I am the Evil Spider Hunter!!!!

I am an advanced invertebrate hobbyist - I keep tarantulas,scorpions and centipedes and I have just recently developed an interest in the Carnivorous plants of the world.Once again much to my chagrin I am a newbie! I have ordered a "Red Dragon" Venus Fly Trap and Nepenthes species Tropical Pitcher plant from California Carnivores - I also ordered a book called "The Savage Garden" along with raiding my local library for books on the subject.I am familiar with how irritating a newbie to a hobby field can be so I will not pester you all with a bunch of stupid questions like I get plastered with on the invert discussion forums...I thought I would just ask you guys and gals what were the most pertinent hints on keeping these plants alive - in regards to sunlight,watering and substrate.Oh yes, and feeding?
wow.gif

I would appreciate ANY tips on these topics and in turn I would suggest that if any of you are interested in another bizarre hobby/addiction you look into getting your self a tarantula to start out with..perhaps a Chilean RoseHair or a Mexican Blonde...and you can come and visit me on MY forums...Petbugs.com and Arachnopets.com - but be warned my new friends...invertebrates are just as addicting as CPs !!!
I look forward to meeting all of you!!!!

tounge.gif
The Evil Spider Hunter

Welcome to the Petflytrap discussion forums. You'll find a lot of useful information on the forums if you browse the different topics. I wish you luck and hope you'll consider buying your next plants from Exotic Gardens/Petflytrap...you'll find we have many happy customers here and a great group of people on the forums.
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the forums.
I have to disagree with you on one thing you said.
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> but be warned my new friends...invertebrates are just as addicting as CPs !!! [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
This can't be true. Soon you'll start getting the urge to drop a tarantula in your new nepenthes.  
biggrin.gif

Speaking of feeding nepenthes, It's been a long, cold, bugless winter, and I have some very hungry nepenthes, Do you have any good and fat tarantulas you want to get rid of?
I promise I'll take good care of them.
Looks like you'll fit right in here.

Hi Spider

Welcome to the forums! Glad you decided to try a few CPs.
smile.gif

Your VFT will enjoy lots of sunlight and pure water only (rain, R.O. or distilled). A standard substrate is a 1:1 peat/sand mix...but perlite, sphagnum moss and charcoal can be used as well...and keep it wet at all times. I prefer my VFTs potted and kept outdoors (they appreciate air circulation) but some people use terrariums. Humidity isn't so big an issue unless you live in a very dry area. Be mindful of its dormant season...usually from Thanksgiving to Valentines Day. As for feeding, if kept outdoors, it won't be an issue. It will feed itself. Mine stay full of flies and other critters all summer.

In general Red Dragons are not quite as robust as some other varieties, but they are pretty. I'm sure other folks might offer their experiences with them.

What kind of nep did you get? Their care depends on the type.

I think I'll pass on the arachnid hobby...
wow.gif
but...thanks for sharing!
biggrin.gif

Suzanne

Heeheehee...
biggrin.gif
yes, not everybody is into venomous spiders and scorpions and foot long tropical centipedes with quarter inch fangs..it is truly for the mental amongst us..!!! But I am already getting the picture of the the CP hobby! this is just as bizarre as my hobby! I am still trying to wrap my mind around the concept of a plant that preys on insects.And I have even read that some pitcher plants have devoured RATS!! now that is just wack.I already love this new hobby...I am gonna have soooo much fun!!! I appreciate all of your help and comments you guys and gals...I hope to get to know all of you better in the days to come...

I really have already skimmed around reading some of the posts trying to familiarize myself with some of the terminology and jargon in the CP field.Hopefully it will not take me too long before I do not sound like the rash beginner that I am
confused.gif
I hate being a NEWBIE...YUCK!!! but what are ya gonna do...ya gotta start somewhere..heheehehhehe

alien.gif
The Evil Spider Hunter

A little off topic...
I've always had a fascination for foot long centipedes with quarter inch long fangs. (ok, maybe not the fang part, i'm allergic to bug bites and stings
tounge.gif
wow.gif
)
What species of Nepenthes did you get? Different species have different requirements...
-Spec
alien.gif

Back