What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora propagation...

Has anyone succesfully divided a Heliamphora? Any tips?

Ask Pyro he should know, since he is trading one with me. I am pretty sure he devided(sp) it.

Wes

Hello,
To divide a Healiamphora it has to have multiple growing points. To divide you carefully take the plant out of the soil. Get all soil from the roots to clearly see what is which. With a sharp knife, or something that you can use to cut, snip of the the desired offshoot, or growing point, making sure it has its own root system. Then dip them in a rooting hormone to decrease the chances of shock, and provide better root encouragement. Then pot them up.
Kevin

Thanks for the info Kevin. I had my heli outside for awhile and some of the substrate got washed away, what I noticed was a bunch of shoots sticking up with their own clump of pitchers growing out of each. Would each be considered a growing point?

Wow, that's good news. There's at least 5 of them. Actually, most of the plant at the moment looks like that. Weird, maybe it's from getting cooked a little in the sun.

Now the question is...leave it, or dig it up and see how many we can make.
wink.gif

Dig it up! Dig it up! Dig it up! Dig it up! Make more to trade/share!
tounge.gif

tounge.gif

smile.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

alien.gif
Of course you could just have one huge monster plant and hope it flowers!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SnowyFalcon @ Aug. 07 2003,3:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Dig it up! Dig it up! Dig it up! Dig it up! Make more to trade/share!
tounge.gif

tounge.gif

smile.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

alien.gif
 Of course you could just have one huge monster plant and hope it flowers![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hehe, that sounds like what I want to do...but risk the plant?
tounge.gif
Hmm, too bad I can't just dig up half the plant.

It's pretty small itself, it's going to be a while before it's a monster plant.
smile.gif
Maybe it's just a cutting itself...or a clump of them.

Wait until winter.
Heliamphora don't like deviding / repotting during summer.

Back