What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heli Divvy/Repot

I finally ordered some trichoderma and set out to repot my heli this good friday.
Some 3 hours later and pulling apart strands of LFS I finally got around to repotting my heli (thanks to Av8tor1's awesome sticky). You were right, it was definitely in need of repotting.
I just wanted to share this with you guys and hope you send some good energy that I did this correctly! :blush:

The divisions were pretty easy to pull apart (in fact, too easy). The 'mother' plant is actually two that just basically fell apart and I just used LFS as some duct-tape to pretend it didn't happen.

Whew, 2 hours, but I'm excited.

mcGCVMRi5ArIyiU4jS6r2pVBWf6RXkVxvBwIcO0XGfAO=w287-h510-no
IMG_20140418_170254425_HDR.jpg
IMG_20140418_172657015_HDR.jpg

7V3KNSUTMW8Zl0DFdm5GCaELuiLtRtfQL6DfDpUU8XhM=w906-h510-no

IMG_20140418_192628.jpg
IMG_20140418_192643.jpg

Nice division example and good, healthy roots. Here are a few questions for you:
Are those H. heterodoxa x minor? Did you get more divisions than pictured? Did you refill the pitchers with water?

"Nice division example and good, healthy roots....."

+1

looks like a seasoned heli grower did it... nicely done.
I think you will find they will be happier, as a general rule bigger is better when it comes to heli pots.

:awesome:

Last edited:
Nice division example and good, healthy roots. Here are a few questions for you:
Are those H. heterodoxa x minor? Did you get more divisions than pictured? Did you refill the pitchers with water?

Thanks Dave. They are actually h. minor, purchased a little over a year ago.
I refilled each pitcher with a diluted orchid fertilizer and keeping my fingers crossed. All divisions are shown in the photos above. 4 new pots (the mother was two divisions that I hopefully saved together).

Thanks Av8tor1!

Last edited:
I have never grown Helis but I've grown/ripped apart/transplanted many, many other types of plants. You're headed in the right direction by lightly feeding them--helps with the regrowth of root hairs.

Noob curiosity: what are your growing conditions? Terrarium? Windowsill?

Not newbie at all! This is my first heli and certainly my first attempt at dividing.
I acutally grew it with it's original plastic lid that it shipped in until it eventually outgrew that. A few months later I placed a plastic bag over the plant to restore humidity (I couldn't keep up with misting it with my schedule) and it came back rather quickly.
The heli, along with several other sensitive CPs grow under one (yes one CFL bulb). I plan on expanding this to a real set up once I move in the fall, but until then!

Awesome! So in a bag under a CFL? Definitely doable for me. If you want to trade a division for some Sarracenia let me know!

Back