What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heated Seedling "Greenhouse". My New Grow Rack Setup

So, I was at Menards today and seen this and COULD NOT pass it up :nono:

So, I have re-planted my existing DuneCraft Sarr seedlings in here in an attempt to get them really going this year. I have also planted some Drosera seeds in hopes of success. More pics to come later!!!

2010-10-27_22-31-12_485.jpg

2010-10-27_22-30-35_736.jpg

2010-10-27_22-30-25_550.jpg

2010-10-27_22-32-18_557.jpg

2010-10-27_22-25-15_402.jpg

2010-10-27_22-24-51_994.jpg

I am excited about this :boogie:

Greenhouse holding at 70 degrees :)

looks like your off to a really good start

even tho you dont have that many plants yet you should get at least one more of those lights per shelf. it will make a big difference :)

Nice gear!! Definitely pick up some shop lights for that rack - they're like $18 per fixture for the 48" lights, plus a few bucks for each bulb. They definitely make a lot of difference. I had a few of my CPs (sarrs, vfts, and dews) under a pair of CFL bulbs and they seemed like they needed a bit more light... and now I have them growing under a supernova :D

EDIT: I'm also curious what kind of humidity you can maintain in there. If you pick up a cheap thermo/hygro let me know!

or you can make your own hydrometer using a piece hair! :-D

How do I use a piece of hair?

I want to find some 2' "shop Lights" that would span across the top of each layer perfectly.

Thoughts?

P.S. I am also curious of the humidity. Since I have put the Heated Greenhouse kit in there it is staying between 60 and 70 degrees F.

You can snag some shop light fixtures in 12, 24, and 48 inch lengths that are pretty standard. 18 and 36 inch models are also available but you may have to search a little harder for bulbs. The fixtures are cheap and readily available at home depot (their house brand is Lithonia). You can also get a thermometer/hygrometer like the one I have in my grow rack (see my sig) for about $3.50.

Does the heat mat which came with that setup work well? I read some bad reviews about that particular brand and heard that it does not heat well. Does it hold the temps well at night?

The heat mat does come with it. It doesn't get as hot as I thought it might, but then again I have no idea how hot it is supposed to get lol. My Greenhouse is maintaining at least 58 degrees in my unheated garage with temps dropping into the mid 20's. I think it is working. It does stay all misty inside the cover.

Back