What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have I been scammed?

• Thread starter Pacrun1593
  • Start date
So... I bought some ,,Nepenthes seeds" online about 1,5 months ago. Seller didn't specify the exact species, even though I asked privately, but nonetheless I got my package and about a week later I planted them. Fast forward to today this is the small plant that's been growing. It has no pitcher's yet, but the overall plant looks pretty healthy. Can yall tell if this is really a Nepenthes, and is it meant to take so long for the pitcher's to grow?

(Plant date: 24.03.2020)
f0148ee7c2023e74966d074189436788.jpg
ad20bbe0e2a5ac1bbe0cb1bbb351ed8d.jpg
4ab87cf08b9b515823e6912d95b84407.jpg

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

I'm not so sure that they are nepenthes seedlings. Usually nepenthes seedlings produce their traps right after their seed leaves. What I try to do before buying seed online is to look to see if the seller has any pictures of the seeds. If not, I go down to the reviews to see if anybody has pictures of the seeds. Then I compare them to online pictures of those seeds to see if they look similar to avoid being tricked.

Last edited:
That absolutely is not a nepenthes seedling. Nepenthes seedling are very small and slow growing. They'll produce their first pitchers soon after germination, on the first true leaf they produce. Generally, I would not trust anyone trying to sell nepenthes seed. They will either be fakes, like you received here, or have been poached from the wild.

Where are you located? Where did the seed come from? That's some sort of garden weed and definitely not a Nepenthes or any sort of carnivorous plant.

Do you have a picture of the seed when you received it?

It's not a Nepenthes, at all. Nepenthes seeds first should arrive looking like wood splinters with fat middles, and a year-old one will probably still be under an inch across for many. There are occasionally places to get confirmed and horticulturally produced Nepenthes seeds (I should be one in a month or two), though typically hybrids and very rarely species.
Also, might be better if this thread was moved to the Nepenthes or plant ID sections.

Do you have a picture of the seed when you received it?
Yes, in fact I have some seeds left. The ones I planted were a teeny bit bigger than the ones on the pic. If people are telling me this is definitely not Nepenthes, then does anyone know what it is?
891e99f31b5a9ba98fd1d850ccfff8ed.jpg

It's not a Nepenthes, at all. Nepenthes seeds first should arrive looking like wood splinters with fat middles, and a year-old one will probably still be under an inch across for many. There are occasionally places to get confirmed and horticulturally produced Nepenthes seeds (I should be one in a month or two), though typically hybrids and very rarely species.
Also, might be better if this thread was moved to the Nepenthes or plant ID sections.
Hmm... mine definitely don't fit your description. They're more of a round shape.

Excuse my stupidness, but I'm pretty new to Tapatalk in general and I'm not sure how to move threads to differerent sections. If it's necessary, can you tell me how and I'll do it right away?

Where are you located? Where did the seed come from? That's some sort of garden weed and definitely not a Nepenthes or any sort of carnivorous plant.
I'm located in Poland. The seeds were bought from a trusted and very popular (in my country) online shopping site. If it's really a garden weed, do you know what could it be?

I'm not so sure that they are nepenthes seedlings. Usually nepenthes seedlings produce their traps right after their seed leaves. What I try to do before buying seed online is to look to see if the seller has any pictures of the seeds. If not, I go down to the reviews to see if anybody has pictures of the seeds. Then I compare them to online pictures of those seeds to see if they look similar to avoid being tricked.
Yeah, well the listing, oddly, didn't have any reviews. The photo's that the seller put up on his listing were just generic Nepenthes pics from Google Images. What was also suspicious to me, is that the seller never replied to my question of "What species of Nepenthes are you selling/offering?" (The site I bought it from has such a community that sellers reply to questions pretty much every time). The species wasn't even specified when I got the package... just a little note in the little Ziplock bag saying - Carnivorous Pitcher Plant - 5 pcs

This is a Nepenthes seed:
4rVAwtMl.jpg

After their cotyledon comes up the very first true leaves have a pitcher on the end of them and already looks like a nepenthes, like these:
kYhJvX6l.jpg

Back