What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hairy Hamata

Im sure it will. The thing is though the reason the 'robcantleyi' became hot in the beginning was because someone (I will not name them) claimed that this was just so BE could make more money (or something like that).

I disagree. If you read the thread properly the whole issue is the fact that the species was described by a single plant in cultivation instead of a population of wild plants and the fact that there are discrepancies with the official story about the origin of that single plant based on the discoverer, Rob Cantley posting years ago he had the seed sent to him mixed with truncata seeds which only allows them to be named as cultivars.

Also much of the controversy is that Robs competitor is taking advantage of this issue to attack Borneo exotics in the name of the integrity of the genus.

No such thing would happen with hairy hamata. There is a Wild population which can be used to describe the species and there are no discrepancies or hidden facts besides the location of hairy hamata.

I recently corresponded with Rob about this plant, and here is what he told me:

Hi Mat,

We find this species very difficult to grow under our conditions but we think we will have a sustainable supply by Autumn this year. However, we will be modifying the description when it comes back. The description reads:

The pitchers are pure usually dark burgundy red, with a red or yellow/red peristome, and are as hairy as N. villosa. The upper pitchers don't have the super-long sickle-shaped clawed peristome, but they do have good teeth and they are often red in colour. Plants offered for sale at present are XS size.

This was written by the collector who sent us the seeds and it turns out that (apart from hybrids with N. maxima) the clones are not all as red as the parent plant, so we will have to take out the reference to “red” until we can find out which of our many clones in microprop are red and which are paler colouration.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Robert

1. Yes, I think it's a separate species because of temperature-requirements and it looks completely different pitcher-wise from 'regular hamata'
2. It's finickey. Regular hamata just wants a little higher humidity than 'bone dry' and a 5-10 degree temp drop at night from a 'warmer' daytime temp in the highland range of preferred daytime temps. 'Red Hairy Hamata' has done nothing but slowly churn out leaves for me since mid-last year so it definitely wants something that isn't cooler temps (because it's gotten 65 day/50 nights) and higher humidity (it's been raining) so either it's more light, or maybe a more drastic night time temp drop. I have no idea... it's a hard plant to get to pitcher imho. And at 300 bucks a pop, you might consider getting something fuzzy but easier like chaniana - no teeth, but a fuzzy little guy. If you want teeth, try getting a 'regular' hamata or honestly a macrophylla - they're pretty easy. Or one of the nice new hamata hybrids that are coming out, or a xTrusmadiensis or its hybrids.

Hah, yeah I could see that! It doesn't quite roll off the tongue for such a beast though... I don't have any good ideas, though. :lol:

That would be a great name.

I'm certainly not a taxonomist, but I hope the "hairy red hamata" will have an official moniker, whether it's a new species or a variety.
Anyway here's a better close up of the peristome, as promised some time back, plus a side shot illustrating the squat shape:

6d72574b.jpg

3494ca0b.jpg

(They are from the original BE release.)

BTW, my plants and the few others I've seen, are not as hirsute as the the plant in the famous photo
taken by Ch'ien Lee.

Has anyone tried touching the teeth on their hammy? Are they sharp? Can they cut you up?

Mine isn't big enough but the peristome is stiff so I could imagine it to be relatively sharp (not like a knife I think)

Back