What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guess this Ping

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I was out doing Plant Surveys for NASC the other day and found these pings.

262035926O227180540.jpg
262035933O149496463.jpg
262035938O509065073.jpg
262035946O130662656.jpg
262035939O451367532.jpg

I have it narrowed down to two species.

What do you think it is?

reminds me of P. lusitanica....but i cant remember if it grows in the US or not.

Alex

That's not it.

Recognize the pics :)

Is it a very very pale P. caerulea?

Edit:Nvm, just realized petal shape is all wrong...

Is it P. rectifolia?

no

Just a guess. If the corolla including the spur is less than 2cm long I think it should be P. pumila. I can't tell from the photo how big it is but it look bigger than that.

V

maybe it;'s the blue butterwort ? or a really faint blue form of some pinguicula species

I'll narrow it down

P. lutea: It can't be P. lutea because its not yellow

P. cauerulea: There are some very light clones of P. caerulea, but P. caerulea has pointed petals

P. primuliflora: There are some almost white clones of P. primuliflora, but P. primuliflora is only native to a small area on the gulf coast

P. planifolia: P. planifolia has a lavender/pink flower that has pointed petals, I think it is also only native to the gulf coast

P. ionantha: Only native to like one ditch in florida, It's super rare. The flowers are always pure white

P. rectifolia: No

Therefore it has to be P. pumila. P. pumila is really variable. The flower color can range from dark purple/blue to pure white.

Here is a pic of P.caerulea taken near the same location as the plants in question.

261945756O373085723.jpg

It's easy to see the difference.

The flower was smaller than the P.caerulea, but not much smaller. Not small enough to 100% ID it as P.pumila, at least not for my untrained eye.
There are only 3 pings that grows here. It's without doubt, not P.lueta. That leaves only P.caerulea and P.pumila. P.pumila is noticeably smaller in size than P.caerulea. If it's a P. pumila, than it is a large specimen. The other plants that looked the same as this one was the same size.

If it's a P.caerulea, then it is a lighter color than normal and it's flower is somewhat misshapen. The flowers around it was roughly the same shape as this one.

So I can't say for sure which it is. Is it possible for it to be a hybrid of the two? I know that Lutea and caerulea won't grow near each other. I don't know about caerulea and pumila.

You can see a hint of blue in the pics, but when looking at them in person they looked to be solid white.

Back