What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing under water

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
I saw an article on growing U. graminifolia underwater as an aquarium plant. Any other terrestrials I can grow underwater attatched to something?

permanetly.

it might work with any really. try somthing like a lava rock and grow it out of the tank. submerge the rock in water so it stays moist. once they have grown down into the rock and it anchors its self put it into the aquarium. id use a big rock...... but ive never tried this so i have no clue what would happen.
Alex

Seems fine to me, since most of mine grow their stolons outta the bottom of the pot into the water dish, and those seem to be very vigorous growing.

-Ben

I put a division of U. livida on a rock, tied it down, and put it in an aquarium under some PC's. Hopefully it won't rot!

If that doesn't work, then I'll just buy/trade for U. graminifolia. I'l love to try something like U. tricolor or U. dichotoma. I hope one of the utric buffs chime in!

dont see why it wont work but i doubt you will see flowers. try U. tricolor, it should like the warm water of a tropical fish tank and i have yet to find a way of killing the SOB other than extended drought

I agree with rattler on the tricolor. I'd also recommend dichotoma as I have heard that in habitat it is ofthen found submerged under significant water levels. And appearantly its morphology changes when it grows this way.

And you can always try subulata since it is such a tenacious beast...

I also agree with the U. dichotoma, mine flowers a whole heck of a lot after its been submerged under water.

-Ben

To tell you guys the truth, I dont give a crap if they flower or not
smile.gif
The thought of a carpet of utrics growing in my aquarium tickles me pink
smile.gif

I've got 2 13-15 watt PC energy saver bulbs in the hood. I replaced the halogen lights that came with it with them for obvious reasons. I think I could pick up a couple 30 watters though. What do you think?

I imagine the tank doesn't have to be cycled right? The water will probably be neutral- very mildy alkaline (like 7.5 maybe, just a guess). I tested my rocks and they don't bubble when exposed to acid so they are OK. I've got a mild water current for a 100 GPH filter. Would U. tricolor and U. dichotoma grow on rocks?

I spose they could, just like rattler's (I think) U. sandersonii that grows on clay pots. If there are holes in the rocks, you could get some of those aquatic plant pots with the holes in them, and then put the plant in there and put the whole thing in the rock.

-Ben

I just secured U. tricolor and U. dichotoma to some smooth mexican river rocks with a rubber band and buried the rocks in the dirt and put a little bit of sand on top. Hopefully this will work out great!

Edit: Apparently U. graminifolia is the "it" plant for the foreground. I found and a lot of people can't find it. Here are some links.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.p....ia&st=0

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumap....cularia

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumap....cularia

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumap....sp.html

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Oct. 06 2006,10:09)]I spose they could, just like rattler's (I think) U. sandersonii that grows on clay pots. If there are holes in the rocks, you could get some of those aquatic plant pots with the holes in them, and then put the plant in there and put the whole thing in the rock.

-Ben
yeah it was my sandersonii that did that. hope to do it again on purpose this winter with sandersonii and aureomaculata

please note that it IS NOT attatched to the pot, it just growing on it

2067d2ef.jpg

Wow, a utric is becoming popular with non plant geeks!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I've been growing a few utrics (tricolor, livida, bisquamata, amesthyna) amongst the sarracenia outside in deep trays. I regularly flood the sarracenia, and the utrics don't seem to care. In fact, that green moss that competes with the plants dies after being submerged a day or two. U. tricolor also grows best for me when I keep the water level really high. Now I'm just waiting for flowers.

A friend of mine had a few plants sitting in 1/2" water in a tank. He had U. sandersonii in a pot, and it had spread through the water and literally formed a blooming carpet. It's a cool effect if you're willing to devote that much space to the weed
smile.gif

Peter

i had my best growth with tricolor in the water in the bottom of the heated lowland nep tank i had. no soil just floating in the water.

I have a tricolor that is growing as a simi-aquatic outside and seems to like it. I might try that.

Back