What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grasshoppers

xvart

Doing it wrong until I do it right.
Staff member
Hello, everyone. I haven't been posting much because I haven't really grown many CPs the last few years. I have one Nepenthes now on my porch, a decently size ventrata. Recently it has been getting eaten up by something and when I water I often find large grasshoppers on it. Do grasshoppers eat leaves? And any recommendations on treatment would be helpful as I have forgotten all the pest control methods in my growing absence.

vent1.jpg vent2.jpg

Thanks for your help!

xvart.

Yes, grasshoppers mainly eat leaves, and judging by the amount of the leaf that is missing, I'd say the grasshoppers are most likely responsible

Ouch. That's some serious damage there. And yes, grasshoppers eat leaves. Several have escaped my plants by just eating their ways out (which I do NOT appreciate).

Thanks for the confirmation. Most of the damage happened while I was out of town. I hadn't noticed any prior to leaving. I've brought the Nepenthes inside for now, but any suggestions of prevention?

xvart.

It was definitely the grasshopper! Get it away from your plant. I recently found one sitting on a nep in my greenhouse. Upon closer inspection i noticed it had been snacking not only on the leaves but the growth pojnt as well

I have heard of people putting hot pepper juice on the leaves of their plants to deter pests from munching on them

Back