What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good water quality testers?

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
I'm curious to know if anyone has suggestions for a brand of water testing meters, or a recommendation of where to purchase them. My city water report says the water here is around 60ppm TDS, but it tastes awful and I really don't believe it. I'd like to see if it has something to do with my local water main. I've looked around and it seems like, at the higher-quality end, dual pH/TDS meters aren't much more experience than testers that just do TDS, so I was thinking about spending the extra $10 or $20. Or would I be getting an inferior product? I don't suppose there are reasonably priced units that do soil as well as water, are there? So long as I'm spending the money, I'd like to get something that I can get a lot of use out of.
Any tips would be great. Thanks everyone.
~Joe

Well, I don't know any particular brand to point you to, but I can add my few cents on your water.

There is more to it than just what the meter reads. There are other things that a TDS meter may not be as sensitive to. Our water is carp; it looks like carp and tastes like it, too. But we also have a TDS reading in the 60's, and the plants like it just fine.

YMMV: good luck finding your favorite meter.

I would suggest investing in a good quality TDS meter; most of those available at pet shops are crap and are unlikely to last -- and may be incapable of re-calibration.

In terms of meters, I prefer HM Digital's COM-100. It is highly accurate, allows the user to calibrate using three different methods, compensates for Tb differences, runs about 50.00; that, and it even floats . . .

http://www.tdsmeter.com/products/com100.html

Floating gizmos are ALWAYS a boon to me. ;)

<----

Heck, 'Bella, you might have talked ME into buying one.

Back