What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goldfish!!!

Hello everyone.........Today i just got some new goldfish as i thought i would give it a try again since well the last time i had it....Didn't go that well...I don't really expect that much from this batch but i wanna try my best.....I have no experience with goldfish whatsoever..I just put anti chlorine in the water which is what i always do to the other fishes (which got called home by the lord during my 2 weeks holiday) I bought 3 types...My aquarium is really small and obviously they are cramped but oh well.....I know 2 of the fishes ID but 1 i don't know....Whoever knows anything bout them please teach me Here are some pics

Black Moor Goldfish
RIMG2342.jpg

ID???
RIMG2345.jpg

Pearlscale
RIMG2348.jpg

Thanks for viewing :1 thumbup:

Ken

the id needed goldfish looks a lot like a Pompom goldfish

What size tank is that? By the looks of it, keeping one in there probably wouldn't work. Goldfish need 25+ gallons to be happy and even more space when they get older.

These fish can get to be around 10" fully grown. You won't have any success keeping them cramped.

Also, something is definitely not right with the last two.

Make sure you have adequate filtration and siphon off the solid material every week. Goldfish are notoriously messy!

If you are going to keep goldfish at all, you should have a 29 gallon tank at the absolute minimum size,
and keep only one or two goldfish in a 29 gallon tank, never three.

If you want to keep 3 or more goldfish, look into 40 or 55 gallon tanks..

no goldfish (not even just one) should ever be kept in a 10 gallon tank...
its FAR too small, and the fish will only weaken and die..
if goldfish die in only a few weeks, its because they were living in bad conditions..
either in crowded conditions at the fish store, so they were already weak and dying before they are bought, or in bad conditions at their new home.

The ones that are really round and puffy look like they have dropsy (a fatal disease)
but unfortunately goldfish are being purposely bred to have such hideous deformities that its hard to tell if they are sick, or if they are "supposed" to look that way..I hate that..I wish people would stop breeding deformed animals on purpose..

Scot

My aquarium is really small and obviously they are cramped but oh well.....

Ken

With that attitude, you should not be keeping fish at all..
you are aware you are not treating them well, but you dont care..
you are an irresponsible pet owner..

Scot

Scot no need to be rude, he can always go out and buy a new tank, they arent expensive.
Gold fish in general arent too picky about their living conditions, for christ sake they have the highest range of tolerance to temperatures of any fish (Goldfish and other Carp) up to 108ºF before dieoff really begins to occur, not to mention are able to tolerate highly polluted water...
not saying its right to keep them in a small tank, but at a small size, its not too big of a problem. i do think he needs a bigger tank, but you dont need to call him an irresponsible pet owner, as far as im concerned nearly all your posts are in some way, an attack on someone. Chill out.
Our marine bio class has goldfish everywhere (they breed like mad for us) and some are kept in troughs, others in tanks, we have some some goldfish our teacher bought 4 years ago as feederfish, that are now at around the 12" mark
No black moores or any of the other double tailed "Deformed" goldfish.........though ive personally owned many, and had about 10 in a 20 gallon tank. Personally id upgrade a bit, but if they are taken care of properly, the small tank only prevents them from growing any larger. The fish are too slow to remember how the stuff anyway, with a 5-8 second memory span, i dont think they really care so long as they have clean water and food.

Im not being rude..
its not rude to point out deliberate animal cruelty..

If a family had a dog and kept it chained out to the doghouse 24/7, it would not be "rude" to say they are being irresponsible pet owners..

yes, many times people start out keeping fish in tanks that are too small..but they do it out of genuine ignorance..they simply dont know any better yet..they arent being bad pet owners on purpose..
but if they learn the truth and still CHOOSE to keep the too-small tank, then they are choosing to be bad pet owners on purpose..thats a decision I cant respect.

and fish stores are terrible, because they say "oh sure, its fine to keep three goldfish in this 10 gallon tank"..because they only care about the sale..they know parents will spend $40 for a 10-gallon tank for their kids bedroom, but they wont spend $200 for a 29 gallon..so they myth is enforced and passed along..and the fish die far too young because of it.

If Kento was *asking* if his tank was too small, I would cut him some slack..but they fact that he said "My aquarium is really small and obviously they are cramped but oh well.." makes me lose all respect for him..I really find the "oh well" very offensive..because it says he KNOWS the tank is too small, but he doesnt care..

If im "rude" for saying that..then "oh well"..
if it helps him learn more about fish care, and get a bigger tank, then my "rudeness" is worth it..
pet lives would be improved and saved..
if we say nothing, how will people ever learn?
we do it all the time with CP's..we should do it will all other "pets" too..plant or animal.

Scot

I agree, I had a 5 gallong aquarium I was going to use, but I never did, because I saw that it would be cruel. What really brakes my heart are the betta fish kept in those plastic cups with a lid...

I do agree that small tanks are cruel, no lie there. But at a small size, its fine...but they only stay small for so long.
Id upgrade to atleast a 30gal....

Gold fish in general arent too picky about their living conditions, for christ sake they have the highest range of tolerance to temperatures of any fish (Goldfish and other Carp) up to 108ºF before dieoff really begins to occur, not to mention are able to tolerate highly polluted water...

just because an animal can *tolerate* something doesnt mean its o.k. to force them to live in those conditions..
so because a goldfish can "tolerate" dirty water, its ok to keep them in dirty water?
or course not..if goldfish can "tolerate" 100 degree water, should we keep them in 100 degree water? they will "tolerate" it for a few days tops..before it kills them..

not saying its right to keep them in a small tank, but at a small size, its not too big of a problem. i do think he needs a bigger tank, but you dont need to call him an irresponsible pet owner,
yes it is a problem..because a too-small tank with too many fish cant be kept clean enough..
the fish are stressed, and die young..

as far as im concerned nearly all your posts are in some way, an attack on someone. Chill out.

wow..now THAT is an exaggeration! ;)
lets see..out of nearly 2,000 posts in 8 years, I bet you can find 10 that are "attacks"..and most of them were years past in political threads..the vast majority of my posts are polite and helpful and about growing carnivorous plants properly. thats very far from "all your posts are attacks"..
Chill out...dont make such ridiculous blanket statements..

Our marine bio class has goldfish everywhere (they breed like mad for us) and some are kept in troughs, others in tanks, we have some some goldfish our teacher bought 4 years ago as feederfish, that are now at around the 12" mark
No black moores or any of the other double tailed "Deformed" goldfish.........though ive personally owned many, and had about 10 in a 20 gallon tank. Personally id upgrade a bit, but if they are taken care of properly, the small tank only prevents them from growing any larger. The fish are too slow to remember how the stuff anyway, with a 5-8 second memory span, i dont think they really care so long as they have clean water and food.

the crux of that argument is "clean water"..
very few 14 year olds with 5 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank keep "clean water" in that tank..
it just doesnt happen..

the small tank only prevents them from growing any larger.

that is very seldom true..95% of the time the too-small tank kills the fish in 2 years or less, due to overcrowding, stress, and bad water..when they could live to be 20 years old if properly cared for.."prevents them from growing any larger" is the least of the problems with a too-small tank..the fish dont live long enough to "not grow larger" anyway..

Scot

Im not going to fight with you about it, if you read above, i am fully aware that its probably too small for those fish. we dont even know the size of the tank.
And dying young because they are kept in a tank too small?
i kept 5 moores and a placo in a 20 gallon tank, they lived for a good 6 years each. i had them from age 8-to just after my 14th bday.
cleaned the tank out once every month.
im not saying just because they can tolerate it, put them through it. i said they CAN tolerate it, so i doubt a smaller tank for a short amount of time (hoping he upgrades) is going to be an issue, long term, of course it is.
Gold fish to grow to their environment, proven it many times in marine bio class.
im planning on a major in marine biology in college, its what i want to do. so, goldfish in a smaller tank. If he upgrades, its not a big issue, he really probably shouldnt have bought the fish without the means to properly take care of them, true.
But it does not warrant an attack on him.
Today is a day i wont let attacks at me bother me, im leaving for florida for vacation, i thought i would see what was going on, and put in my opinion, and thats what im doing. Personally, im sure he will upgrade his tank when he realizes its too small.
its 50$ for a basic 30 gallon tank(atleast thats how much mine cost me at petco), buy one and upgrade it.

Sorry but this is gonna stir the pot but well who cares.
Kris you tend to jump on people as well with attitude hell i do too. you take this forum as if it were your's an you seem to think everyone is being rude or disrespectful . Scot was giving simple advice if any one is being at all rude HMMM .... maybe you with your seemingly know it all attitude . granted you are very knowlageable in many things an yes some times have good pionts , but gez come on stop jumping on the backs of people trying to help each other .
i am sure that you think i a being rude, well maybe just a little bit .an i am sure this will not be the end
so good luck ken with your Gold fish

Daren

Daren, again, im not here to fight with anyone.
Personally, i know this isnt my forum, hell i dont want it to be.
When it comes to fish care, especially something as basic as goldfish, i feel i have every right to have a "know-it-all" attitude considering this is what we started out with in our studies in Marine Biology.
Carp are the hardiest fish in the animal kingdom, if you read my above post youll see that i said i think its wrong to keep them cramped.
I do not believe Scotty was right when he called him what he did, but im not going to fight about it.
If you really think im so much of an issue on the forum, do not reply to my threads if you expect me to flame about it, its simple.
I was adding advice.
EDIT:
i can see this is all going to get flared up and heated.
Im out, last post now before florida.
Not going to have my day ruined because of people on the internet, its just the internet.
Kent, if you need help on something, feel free to ask, ill help you as much as i can. with my "know it all" attitude :)
Have a good day

I don't see where the controversy is... It seems the topic starter admitted he wasn't being the best pet owner, and didn't care about that... then he was called out on it. done. It doesn't need to turn into these little phrases poking each other trying to get a reaction.
Back on topic.
Andrew

The unknown is an oranda goldfish, a type similar to the Chinese lionhead.

Those Pearlscale goldfish have nothing wrong with them, and in fact, we (The Chinese) often think that being wide (fat) shows prosperity. (An ancient belief, of course.)

Ahh...Ooookay lots of post :) Anyways now that you guys mentioned it i know its small but as much as i would like to have a bigger tank (believe me i would) i can't cos my house is fully occupied and i cant just put in a bigger tank...So yeah in a way bad fish grower etc etc..

Sooo aside from the small tank thingy how about water temp and food???? I feed them normal fish pellets which soo far they are reacting quite okay to it..The pearlscales are eating less then the others though.....They seem to be soo slow at reacting to the presence of food...

Another thing is....The last time i had them the pearscales died because of some disease where they're lips/mouth turn red...Approx half the mouth is red (patches of it and stuff)

I have a couple things to add. A friend of mine keeps moors. Sometimes they and other fish with the super round abdomens will have too much buoyancy and not be able to remain down where they should be for any extended period of time without popping right back up.

It's a gas and air bladder problem that they are prone to. She remedies that by putting them out in her 4' deep pond for recovery. Though they can not stay down for long in that condition, they can diver down long enough for the greater water pressure to fix the problem.

If you can't provide them with a tank that's at least a couple feet deep, if that problem ever occurs, due to a tank that size being expensive, you could consider making them an indoor pond type setup. You get more bang for your buck with those I think. You'd just get some 2"x4" 's, frame up the walls, put plywood on the inside, cover with a liner, add a pump and filter and you've got a great habitat for them. You could go as big as your floor is capable of supporting.

Those wide little fish were bred to be viewed from the top anyway. And if you're worried you won't be able to see the moors against a black liner, you could always put down some light colored aquarium gravel in there.

Here's a how-to on it. Just scale it down to whatever size you have room for.

http://joeskoi.com/diyindoorpond.htm

http://joeskoi.com/ponddiary2007.htm

You could watch your local builder's places for sales and promotions. You can find what you need on sale sometimes. If the basement wasn't so loaded full of other stuff (like the furnace, water softener, etc), I'd build one for myself.

Back