What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glandular tentacle on petiole

I noticed that my D. prolifera has some tentacles on its petioles. Has anyone else experience this with D. prolifera or other sundews?

Sorry the pic isn't the best, but if you look towards the center of the plant, where another flower stalk is coming up, you'll see some long glandular tentacles with a bit of dew on them.
12496480_732799690184840_1220071300939425389_o.jpg

I've seen it reported on this species before, never happened (that I've noticed at least) with my own plants however so no clue why. Could just be a random somatic mutation, but not something genetic.

That's pretty cool. I haven't seen that before, though I grow this species. Is this the first time you've seen those tentacles or is it pretty consistent?

Last edited:
First time, though I've only had this plant for about three months. There are two tentacles on the most recent leaf, and one on another that is slightly older which I hadn't noticed until now. I'll have to see if any appear on the incoming leaves.

This is actually very common in D.prolifera. I see it in my own plants all the time.

Back