What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

getting pitchers on my bical

hey all.

I received a red flush bical a little over a week ago(small plant in 3 inch pot) and despite my initially poor terrarium it has done well...as of now i have the temp and humidity constant but as of now only have a 24w 1800 lumens 5k florescent desk lamp on it...surprisingly it has repaired all but one leaf(which i pruned) and not sure if it is just my perception but the plant really responded well to the pruning and seemed to accelerate it's growth. I guess it was trying to repair the leaf and got to use the energy elsewhere?

It is in the process of unrolling 3 new leaves, 2 of which have little red tips which i hope could be pitcher vines maybe? u tell me.

I have a 10,000 lumens 6500 k t5 array in the mail...once i get that going; will I start to see pitchers?

I'm presuming yes since light=energy=building fuel for plants?

welcome to the forums bobby!
not only light but temps. bical is a ultralowlander and will appreciate staying in the 80s at night, and even higher during the day. the pitchers can take weeks to fully develop, though the timing is much shorter with lowland species in general. seems like you're doing well---please share pics of your progress. im sure we'd enjoy them!

link doesnt work... it says you have to log in. ???

Nice! Jealous you got a bical!!! Oh, and for future reference, if you want to upload an image straight to TF without a link, just upload the pics to an image host like photobucket.com and then copy and paste the IMG code (it'll appear on the right hand side every time you view a pic in photobucket, you simply have to click on the "IMG Code" and it will automatically copy for you) into your post/reply. That should do the trick!

hey thx.

Looking for a Nepenthes mirabilis var. echinostoma to accompany it but all I can find are seeds so far.

Now that I have the air re-circulation installed, changed the water works in the terrarium and just waiting on the stand for my t5's. Once they light up I suspect that bical will be most happy with me.

Not sure if u can see them with such a small pic but do u think the red tips on the new leaves signify that the plant intends to add vines to them?

Can't really see, sorry. But yeah, hopefully if the lighting's good and they're happy, then each new leaf will produce a pitcher. If that's what you were asking... And sounds like a good setup!

Back