What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting import permits

Last time I checked (early Jan) there was no provision for PDF labels. It may not have been implemented yet.

Whenever I request new labels now, they send me an email with a .pdf attachment containing the labels. You can simply forward that to whoever is doing the export and have them print them (just make sure they never reuse the same label).

Thanks Mato. I requested the new shipping labels on Tuesday and received the labels just a few minutes ago. It's nice they finally switched over. A week off of a usual 3 week shipment ordeal is ok in my book! Now I just need the weather to warm up into the 40's so I can get my small army of glabrata, bellii, & wacky traps!

Id like to thank everyone that contributed to this thread. Much more informative than I had planned it to be. People should have 0 problems getting permits if they read this thread now:).

Id like to thank everyone that contributed to this thread. Much more informative than I had planned it to be. People should have 0 problems getting permits if they read this thread now:).
There is a lot of great information in this thread. It might be worthwhile to update the original post with the additional information that has been learned and/or shared, just for ease of review. That way, anyone coming in can simply read the first thread for the instructions, and then for further context can continue to read through the accumulating pages. Just a thought. :)

xvart.

Agreed. I made the thread a "sticky" even though "stuck" threads get less traffic. People seem to just skip over them. It always be "unstuck"

Thats a good idea. I'll do it if I find the time.

Good idea on the sticky. Thought I would go ahead and post the instruction sheet that is emailed with the labels. It is pretty informative.

Just a quick note that is not made abundantly clear, if EMS (which subsequently uses USPS once in the states) is chosen as the courier of choice, they will automatically forward the package from the inspection station to you at no additional charge. I was freaking out trying to setup a business account with USPS so they could charge me until the inspection station was like, "don't worry about it, we got your back!" I have never used a private courier so cannot give advice on that.

It is also a good idea to call the inspection station ahead of time just to give them a heads up you have a package inbound. They are all super nice and will gladly work with you. Even if you are like me and you call them everyday it's in customs like, "Is it done yet????" lol.

IMPORTANT: YOU MUST PRINT THESE LABELS IN COLOR
Failure to print labels in color could result in the destruction of your shipment

DIRECTIONS FOR PACKAGING AND SHIPPING QUARANTINE MATERIALS UNDERPPQ 588, PPQ 546, PPQ 587 AND PPQ 525A PERMITS FOR IMPORTATION INTO THEUNITED STATES.

Unless otherwise instructed in the permit conditions, attach the GREEN/YELLOW label(PPQ 508) securely using clear/transparent tape to the EXTERIOR of the shipping package.Packages without labels on the EXTERIOR may be refused entry even if the labels areenclosed.

Place on the EXTERIOR OF THE PACKAGE the name and address of shipper and astatement of the contents.

Place within the package the permit holder name, delivery address, phone number, invoice,and, when required, a phytosanitary certificate.

THE LABEL WILL DIRECT THE PACKAGE TO THE PPQ PLANT INSPECTIONSTATION AUTHORIZED UNDER THE PERMIT. THE DELIVERY ADDRESS MUSTBE THE SAME AS INDICATED ON THE LABEL OR THE PACKAGE WILL BEREFUSED ENTRY.

The package may only contain materials authorized under the PPQ 588, PPQ 546, PPQ 587or PPQ 525A Permit. It will be refused entry with possible civil penalties if unauthorizedmaterials are included.

DO NOT WRITE ON, MODIFY, OR DEFACE THESE LABELS. These labels cannot bereused or duplicated for additional shipments. Each individual label will have a distinctivebarcode. Underlying packaging/wrapping must carry the address, a prepaid delivery waybill,carrier account number, or postage must be included and any other information required todirect the shipment to its final destination. USDA APHIS does not defray any additionalshipping costs for transiting the shipment through an inspection station as the initial USdestination.

IMPORTANT: YOU MUST PRINT THESE LABELS IN COLOR
Failure to print labels in color could result in the destruction of your shipment

You can bring in up to 12 plants in your baggage without a permit provided you have phytosanitary certificates issued from the country of origin. The plants will be inspected by Customs agents at the port of entry. If there are any CITES plants you will need a CITES permit. More than 12 plants require permits and phytosanitary certificates. The plants have to be shipped and inspected at the nearest Plant Plant Quarantine inspection station or you can try to make arrangements to have an inspector available when you arrive and the shipment arrive. You are responsible for arranging and paying for shipment to and from the Inspection center. If the inspectors determine the plants need treatment for pests or diseases before leaving quarantine you are responsible for the cost of any treatment. The inspectors could also destroy or have the plants returned to the country of origin. Customs will destroy any plants without phytosanitary certificates.

If you are shipping (importing) the plants from overseas all the same permits are required.

See this post for more information and download the two circulars linked at the bottom.
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/f...9001-importing-post1097395.html?#post1097395=

Hi,

I know this is an older post but I am planning a trip to Europe and would love to bring back some plants. Does anyone know of someone who has actually brought back 12or less plants with just a phytosanitary certificate? Did they have any issues with customs? I am planning on purchasing some more costly plants and hate to have them confiscated and trashed.

Thanks
Mona

Since there hasn't been any information about the application process posted for more than a year:

I filled out PPQ587 through the e-permits site for small seed lots on June 14 and had it accepted on June 22, just 6 business days. Now I wait and see how long label requests take.

Shipping labels only took another 4 days, but now I'm confused about whether my address should be on the outside of the package, and whether or not extra postage needs to be included for shipping to me from the inspection station. It looks like I'll be calling the APHIS office.

You don't expect government departments to make anything easy do you?

I talked to Karen at the APHIS office this morning, as indicated by others, and she was very helpful clarifying my questions. When an imported package comes through USPS, it should be addressed normally to the final destination (your address) and no additional postage is required, since apparently the packages never technically leave the mail system during the process. When packages are sent through a courier service such as UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc, a separate pre-paid shipping label needs to be included to ship from the inspection station to you.

Can anyone comment on what species require a CITES permit to import? The information I've been able to find indicates that many appendix II species do not require a CITES permit, yet I've seen people claiming that all appendix II CP's (all Sarracenia and Nepenthes not listed on appendix I) require it. What about Pinguicula ionantha which is not listed on CITES but is protected by the ESA?

Can anyone comment on what species require a CITES permit to import? The information I've been able to find indicates that many appendix II species do not require a CITES permit, yet I've seen people claiming that all appendix II CP's (all Sarracenia and Nepenthes not listed on appendix I) require it. What about Pinguicula ionantha which is not listed on CITES but is protected by the ESA?

Yes, I would like to understand the laws regarding Appendix II species as well. And what about transporting these species across state lines?

I forgot to add that Dionaea muscipula is on appendix II as well.

If you are importing plants, you do need CITES export permit issued by the exporting country (in addition to phytosanitary certificate). But you don't need the paid CITES import permit (PPQ621) unless you are doing the import for business. I'm not completely sure about the requirement of PPQ621 with App. 1 (I'm guessing that you don't need it).

For the small lot of seeds, app 2 seeds are cites exempt, so no need to have CITES import or export permit (and no need to phytosanitary certificate). App 1 seeds are not exempt, so I'm guessing you need export permit (but no need for phytosanitary). This is my understanding from communicating with an APHIS person.

Last edited:
Ah that is an interesting note, that PPQ621 is meant for business use. A lot of people seem to think it's necessary for all CITES importation (and I'm not even sure it's required for all appendix II species either.)

Back