What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting a Nepenthes to flower

lance

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder
I was wondering does anyone have any experience to what encourages a nepenthes to flower? I heard one guy sprays his nepenthes with phosphorous and they flower almost every time. The seeds even have a high germination rate too.

I am trying to get my Female N. Trusmadies X Ventricosa to flower, and I want to know what works, and what doesn't from a experienced standpoint.

Lance

The only two neps I have ever had flower were long vines that were cut. The cuttings flowered while rooting. I think this is a survival mechanism.

But be warned that the female flower I had didn't produce seed. Not sure if that was due to lack of pollenation or health of the cutting. It flowered while I was on vacation of course and I didn't get a chance to pollenate until the flowers were already open for a while.

I think photo-period has something to do with it under normal non-life threatening situations. If you grow your nepenthes under lights then adjust the photo period during the fall and winter by an hour or so to mimic the seasons. At least that is what I have read from others and practice myself.

I have a maxima hydrid that just produces three flower spikes. My splendiana is flowering female right now. I had a truncata that would flower yearly. I'm not sure if it is age or photo period. That would be awesome to find out.

I have a maxima hydrid that just produces three flower spikes. My splendiana is flowering female right now. I had a truncata that would flower yearly. I'm not sure if it is age or photo period. That would be awesome to find out.

What are your conditions? I heard that if the plant is exposed to bright light it will convince the plant that its vine has reached the jungle canopy, and most likely flower.

Back