What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germinating Pygmy Seeds

Hey all, after a brief search through the forum records I could find scant information and no details about germinating conditions for pygmy seeds.

I am trying to germinate a slightly alpine form of Drosera pygmaea called "Mt. Bold Red". I tried sowing some seeds under T-8 lights with a 12 hour photoperiod and had no success (ambient room temps of approx. 76-80 degrees, ambient humidity not out of the 40% range). Should I apply some sort of stratification for the pygmy complex? I have few remaining seeds that have been refrigerated for nearly 9 1/2 months.

Thanks!

Last edited:
You're right that there isn't much information out there. While I haven't done it myself, I found several articles recommending heat stratification. You should be getting at least a few seeds germinating without it though.

Isnt it really hard to germinate pygmy seeds?

Last edited:
I would doubt D. pygmaea would need a heat stratification if it's from the southeastern part of Australia, Tasmania, or New Zealand; an alpine form might need cold strat actually.

Try both and see which works best, heat or cold

Sent from my SM-G935V
Wishlist:
N. Jacquelineae
Byblis Aquatica
D. Fulva
D. coccicaulis
D. Ramentacea
N. Argentii
D. Ascendens
N. Ventricosa

Back