What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germinating D.pusilla seeds ?

I just got some D.pusilla seeds as a freebee with an order. Anything special about germinating them ?

never tried this species, but quick search of onlinesources suggests it is a pygmy synonym of D. pygmaea. Surface sow and leave in place exposed to changes in seasons. Based on other pygmies I have grown form seeds may take a few years to germinate. one online source suggests GA might help. Or fire to stimulate seed germination. Just I would probably not do it in time when they are going dormant or making gemmae for you. might get confused stop growing.....

Thanks, I'll give em a whirl.

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

Wait a second ! The envelope says they're from Venezuela. I wonder if these these are D.anglica var.pusilla. Where are those from ?

Interesting. Don't think anglica is found outside of the Northern hemisphere. Another synonym that came up when I did a search was "D. biflora" which apparently is from Venezuela, which might actually just be a SA form of capillaris...???

Who knows ? I'll post pics if they germinate and we can all try and figure it out from there...

Back