What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germinating D.paradoxa seeds

I'm trying woolies yet again. I just got some fresh D.paradoxa seeds in, are there any tricks to germinating these ? I've failed at germinating woolies twice before. Any help would be appreciated.

There's no "hoop to jump through" with them. Just prepare a pot of media (and and peat is fine), with a litte moisture and a transparent cover. Place under a fluorescent light, with room temp or higher conditions, and ignore for a few weeks. That worked for me in 2004.

AR000102.jpg

I didn't think there was anything special to doing them. The seeds I've gotten in the past must've been bad or damaged in shipping.
Thanks.

My advice would be to make sure they're warm(above 80 degrees), and at like 100% humidity.. What I did with all of mine is put the seeds on their media of choice(or what I did, a thin layer of finely milled, rinse/sterilized LFS over their media), and put each pot in a baggy.. then stuck that into a tank that stayed at a range of 95-100 degree days with no lower then 80 degree nights..

6461935837_6e11d32e2b_o.jpg

I put half of them on a peat/sand mix and half on milled sphagnum the last time I tried growing them. I really think the seeds were bunk to begin with.

Temperatures in the mid 80'sF are sufficient for D. paradoxa. High humidity, media just damp, and bright lights. Media mostly of sand, pumice/perlite/APS, much lesser amounts of peat moss and other organics such as fine pine bark mulch or chopped long fiber sphagnum. Equal amounts of peat moss and PBM and twice as much of equal amounts of sand & pumice is a good starting point. Germination usually around 6 weeks but can take up to a year.

I have had them germinate in seed pod under the conditions I am growing them in.....

Back