What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fungus Gnat Infestation

DrWurm

Californian in DC
So I've got fungus gnats. Until now, I've been enjoying them because of this:

However, they're beginning to annoy me since I'm growing my plants in my room and that means there are now insects flying around me. It's not too bad, it's just not preferable. Anyone know a good way to get rid of these guys?

Submerge the entire plant underwater for a couple of days.

xvart.

Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis

Just add a little to your watering can or water tray and after a few weeks no more fungus gnats. Since it only kills the larvae you should treat for 4-6 weeks. You can buy Mosquito Dunks at just about any garden or hardware store.

Or grow Utricularia in your pots and water trays. Terrestrial Utricularia will break down peat moss so be prepared to change your media more often.

Maybe get another capensis or two... looks like it is taking them out at a pretty impressive clip. My D. filiformis is adept at catching fruitflies.

I had these earlier (back in February into March I think). It'll be tricky getting rid of them indoors because of limited use of pesticide. In addition, you really can't let the soil dry out for too long, which is what is normally recommended.

I used Acephate (Ortho's systemic insecticide) as a soil drench and it worked well. Most of them were gone after the first use. I also smashed every one I saw. My filiformis is also great at catching them. Lastly, I have read that fly paper works well.

I guess you can use a combination of strategies... Good luck. :)

More dews - especially ones w/ lots of dew - D. adelae, etc

My pings like them. In the past I've put a few pings down around the base of the tomato plants I grow in my arctic entry (very much like a solarium) and they get the gnats like pro's. Some of the best flowers on my pings two summers back.

Thanks for the tips.

As a celebration of me finding an old SLR lens in my garage, I bring you my giant macro of fungus gnats on a capensis.

Back