What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fungicide for root rot

hi guys i just discovered a fungicide that deals with root rot. The active ingredient is captan. Has anyone used a fungicide with captan safely on nepenthes. The ratio is 500g per kg

Last edited:
I have successfully used Physan-20 and Zyban (4 ml/liter) on Nepenthes over the years . . .

Do they contain captan as an active ingredient and how many grams per kg? How effective is it in treating or preventing root rot

If I am not mistaken Captan is based on Copper. Copper based products and CPs in general do not mix. Since I don't do Nepenthes I have not idea of their tolerance is to copper. Zinc is a no-no.

I have no idea thats why im asking

In its molecular formula it does not contain copper or zinc but it does have a small amout of sulphur its formula is C9H8Cl3NO2S

Do they contain captan as an active ingredient and how many grams per kg? How effective is it in treating or preventing root rot

I don't believe that either contain ethyl mercaptan; though I don't have the MSDS materials on hand. I have had success with both seedling and adult plants with the fungicides listed above . . .

Those fungicides are usa exclusive so info of them is useless to me i just want to know about fungicides with captan as the active ingredient and neither have it as an active ingredient

Those fungicides are usa exclusive so info of them is useless to me i just want to know about fungicides with captan as the active ingredient and neither have it as an active ingredient

You don't have to get pissy, pal . . .

I was unaware that Physan and Zyban were not available in South Africa. Since there are many Nepenthes growers there, judging from the seed I have received over the years; check out what they've been using . . .

Not many have had root rot and thus dont know what is effective

I might be confusing it with Phyton. If there is no copper in it, it should be ok. Search on YouTube for a video "Safe Fungicides for Carnivorous Plants". Since it is by another CP Vendor and displays their website name prominently I won't like to it here.

Yes, some fungicides/insecticides are not available in other parts of the world due to licensing, bans, etc.

Kevnep, this is slightly off topic but I have to mention something along with your quest to find out the 'perfect' fungicide for root rot...

Not many have had root rot and thus dont know what is effective

I have killed dozens of nepenthes during my second year of growing Nepenthes due to root rot, whether it be from over watering or as what you have said, fungus attack on the roots. I have never used fungicides due to a few reasons:-
a) they're chemically dangerous to plants and humans alike (you never know what they could do in long term)
b) need lots of research etc. to find the correct fungicide with the right chemical ingredients
c) some brands are just plain hard to get here (Malaysia) but I don't know about you over there

I have come down with one conclusion:- If the roots are unhealthy and poor, root rot will definitely occur even if you treat it with fungicide or other methods. So my advice here is, better change your media for your plants or make sure your growing conditions for the particular plant is proper. I remember you mentioned in the other forum that your watering schedule and system is not the issue but what about other conditions? And the plants affected are the recent ones from EP, if my memory serves correctly, right? Plants are sensitive when acclimatizing to any different environmental changes, so check on other factors too eg. humidity, temp. There is no point if you treat your neps with a fungicide and kill off the fungus only to have it attack again due to the poor, unhealthy root system.

That being said, I would like to hear other member's opinions regarding fungicide contents and their effectiveness. Please do note, this is JUST my opinion and my friendly advice to you as a grower who has encountered root rot before. Good luck!

Thank you and it is valueble to me. Untill recently i have had low humidity but i have corrected that with a hydrofogger but its making my entire greenhouse very wet so i have completely stopped watering. Yes the fungus did only attack one specific ep order but there were a few before it that had no problems, i suspect that the plants were contaminated with fungus during the inspection on our side. The reason i want to use fungicide is that because of the hydrofogger the plants surrounding it have their media get we very often thus i want to strike first just in case. This may be unnecissary but im worried. The media is pure coconut husk

If there is a problem with your hydrofogger making the soil too wet, then fungicide isn't the answer; you need to re-engineer your grow space and the technology you are using! Only stressed/unhealthy plants suffer from problems like root rot.

The fogger is recent it didnt cause the root rot but you have a point and im trying to do so

Yes, I've used Captan with Neps and seen no ill effects. The stuff I use is in powder form and about 50% Captan. I use about 5 to 10 level teaspoons to a gallon of water, or about 25 to 50 grams to about 2.8 liters. To be clear, just so you know, I have only used it on seedlings and never adults.

1 gallon is actually closer to 3.8l just so you know. Dont want to have you over mixing.

The product i saw was also 50%. Since seedlings are a lot more sensitive than adults id say itd be good to use. How often did you use it. I also have a sulphur based fungicide that seems safe both are powders

Just so you know, Captan is no longer legal in the US because it was assessed as a "group B2 cancer risk" material, so handle it with due respect and caution. I would not use it in the context you are considering, because of the handling risk. Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
Yes i read that. The only thing is im not sure my sulphur based one will be as effective what do you think? Im currently trying to remove half the shade net over my greenhouse to increase light levels, would this help too?

Back