What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four tier greenhouse

• Thread starter blucksy
  • Start date
Hi!

I plan on purchasing a four tier greenhouse as an upgrade over my terrarium for space and control. I plan on insulating each floor and setting up fans. I would like to know if this system would be viable and suitable for a nepenthes hamata Eddie and Rajah. I own a Eddie and Rajah which seem to grow fine. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

They work, but they hold heat real well. I'd be worried about cooling, airflow, and putting a plastic bottom on it if you are going to keep it inside.

Also those plants you are looking at get big. So I would only look at it as a temporary home.

Also those plants you are looking at get big. So I would only look at it as a temporary home.
Hopefully by the time they get big enough I will have my own house.

Lol. They also make a 4 footish 4 tier greenhouse, and it only costs about $10 more, but again you will also have to worry about cooling.

I bought one of these to use for lowland plants and I would say it doesn't hold heat very well at all. I suppose it depends on how much heat you're generating inside though.

For what it's worth, my experience with those greenhouses is that they heat up really quickly in the sun, but as soon as it goes all the heat gets lost out through the bottom. Cooling will be a must, but if you get cold temperatures at night then don't expect it to do much.

Besides the issues mentioned above, here are a few I ran across when I had one. The shelves can't support much weight at all and will quickly begin to bend in the middle when loaded up with plants. The zipper (on mine, at least) was crap, and broke after about a month of use, making the tent basically unusable. Unless they've recently changed the design of these, I wouldn't recommend getting one.

The greenhouse I got has the same flimsy wire shelves, but there's a support bar under the middle of the shelves so they won't deform under normal use.

For what it's worth, my experience with those greenhouses is that they heat up really quickly in the sun, but as soon as it goes all the heat gets lost out through the bottom. Cooling will be a must, but if you get cold temperatures at night then don't expect it to do much.
It will be indoors

I bought one of these to use for lowland plants and I would say it doesn't hold heat very well at all. I suppose it depends on how much heat you're generating inside though.
It will be insulated. My house is pretty cool.

Besides the issues mentioned above, here are a few I ran across when I had one. The shelves can't support much weight at all and will quickly begin to bend in the middle when loaded up with plants. The zipper (on mine, at least) was crap, and broke after about a month of use, making the tent basically unusable. Unless they've recently changed the design of these, I wouldn't recommend getting one.
Which model do you have?

The greenhouse I got has the same flimsy wire shelves, but there's a support bar under the middle of the shelves so they won't deform under normal use.
Could I have a link?

Could I have a link?

I don't actually remember what brand I have but it looks just like this Amazon.com : Generic YCUS150720-236 <8&1230*1> Gardenini Outdoor Portable Mini Outdoor 4 Shelves Green House Brand Green house New Garden 4 Shelves G : Patio, Lawn & Garden I wish I'd gotten one with a clear cover but the green grid style is probably more durable.

Also for future reference, you can do multiple quotes in a single post using the little quote+ button next to the normal quote button on other people's posts.

I don't actually remember what brand I have but it looks just like this Amazon.com : Generic YCUS150720-236 <8&1230*1> Gardenini Outdoor Portable Mini Outdoor 4 Shelves Green House Brand Green house New Garden 4 Shelves G : Patio, Lawn & Garden I wish I'd gotten one with a clear cover but the green grid style is probably more durable.

Also for future reference, you can do multiple quotes in a single post using the little quote+ button next to the normal quote button on other people's posts.
I am using tapatalk

As for the reinforcement I am probably going to get one with the bar. Thanks for the heads up

If it will be indoors you will need to plastic the bottom of the greenhouse so you don't get any moisture on the floor, and I would also suggest a set of bed risers to raise the bottom of the greenhouse off the floor further.
3ff38de9dfba3d481153b4cb2fd3677c.jpg
doing so will eliminate virtually all moisture coming out the bottom. Unfortunately it also makes it harder to cool.

If it will be indoors you will need to plastic the bottom of the greenhouse so you don't get any moisture on the floor, and I would also suggest a set of bed risers to raise the bottom of the greenhouse off the floor further.
3ff38de9dfba3d481153b4cb2fd3677c.jpg
doing so will eliminate virtually all moisture coming out the bottom. Unfortunately it also makes it harder to cool.
Which plants are you growing in yours?

10+ varieties of highland Nepenthes, and about 10+ varieties of Drosera ranging from pygmys to tuberous. I also use it to start seeds, and I notice some slight bending of the poles when I have 3 10" x 20" seedling containers with soil and water on it.

In fact all the Nepenthes in my growlist are grown in this greenhouse. Its the Gardman 7600 Extra Wide 4-Tier Greenhouse with Reinforced Cover, 18" Long x 47" Wide x 63" High sold on Amazon for ~$60.

Back