What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fish that lives in peat swamps!

• Thread starter Anoxos
  • Start date
I heard that this is because of the low oxygen levels in bogs, since there is almost no circulation or running water.

-Ben

That's really cool. Makes you wonder how many other creatures we've yet to discover on this earth...

That's cool! I recently saw a new (unnamed) inch long or so predatory catfish on National Geographic which also lives in flooded lowland peat forests floors whos pools are stagnant mud and muck puddles filled with dead leaves and very little actual water. These catfishes look like tiny red angler worms and not fishes at all. I can't recall the show, it was the old hippie-biker nature show guy with the bandana who always intentionally gets stung and bit...
smile_n_32.gif

Very interesting, but i tink.....Can ppl dyscover everyting... before earth get all contaminated and dark...?
confused.gif
, i better not tink i will get a headhache, i contaminata alot w my reef chemicals, and water with calcium and a 14 ph!, oh my, i hope that never touch my terrarium.

14PH
smile_k_ani_32.gif
That's very hazardous material

Yeah, I think I saw that show with the little red catfish. I didn't think they looked much like fish either at the time, but they never gave us a really good look at them. At least the Indonesian ones had a half-way decent pic or two to see they really are fish.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Anoxos @ Jan. 26 2006,9:25)]Yeah, I think I saw that show with the little red catfish. I didn't think they looked much like fish either at the time, but they never gave us a really good look at them. At least the Indonesian ones had a half-way decent pic or two to see they really are fish.
I saw that show as well. I thought it was amazing how small the little bugger was, not to mention that it was living in a stagnate pool of water. Just incredible...

Man this is so cool.
I bet there are thousands of animals that we hadn't discovered yet... so interesting!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dimka @ Jan. 27 2006,12:43)]Man this is so cool.
I bet there are thousands of animals that we hadn't discovered yet... so interesting!
Yeah, new cp's are being discovered too, including a D.rotundifolia with no pigment.
dewy

I think it's cool that they live in such acidic water. That can only happen if the water doesn't contact mineral soil, where it would pick up aluminum that would kill the fish.

Back