What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fingers crossed for my N. villosa!

think he said wisturbia. also I must commend the op on their huge amount of patience! but it seems to have paid off however.

Im thinking this is not the best thread to ask this in but
Im thinking [actualy im more than thinking i pre ordered one] about getting a villosa and i have a spare terrarium but my question is if i use ice to keep the plant cool at night [it will keep it at 45-58 degrees] will 7-10 hours of freezey temp be enough or do i need more ice ?
I tested it it will keep it at those temps i said and will that be too cold ? i plan on getting a BE clone and mabe a wistuba clone and a rajah

Last edited:
Villosa was one of the plants I thought there were only tiny seedlings of and never a giant plant. That HAS to be worth like a few thousand dollars, don't you think? :jester:

Beautiful specimen! Any updates to how it's handling the repot?

Here is a quick update:

DSC_0506.jpg

DSC_0503.jpg

The new growing point on both the main stem and basal are starting to emerge which is good. And perhaps a little less curled leaf stress as well. Still a challenge as the growing area where it is, has less space for it as it gets bigger. My N. rajah next to it has been repotted today.

DSC_0505.jpg

That too has a curled stress leaf look. And a rather nasty bit of rot on the outside of the stem just above where the stem is going woody. The roots seemed ok and extensive and the woody stem going down to them seems ok. So for the moment have just repotted rather than turned it into a extra large cutting!!
With winter beckoning the real stress period has yet to start!!

Fingers still firmly crossed!

cheers

bill

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear its putting out new growth.

As I rather feared it is now time to turn my villosa into a number of cuttings! :( Growth stopped in September and while it has remained largely unchanged during winter it is now going wrinkly and soft particulary at the growing points. There is also extensive black veining up the main stem which was never good. Lopped off the smaller basal and now potted up. On the up side despite the curling of its growth and black growing point its stem is white and alive inside. Just need to see how villosa are when it comes to rooting. The main stem is still intact for now as I am not sure where best to put it as it is far too big for my tanks. And growth for any of my neps in the greenhouse is slow to none at all. So rooting is unlikely. Scrapping away at its woody base has produced white in the stem- but the black veining and curled/wrinkled growth further up suggests that it is not getting water into the stem and so is bad news.And will have to prune it off sooner rather than later I think. The veining might well suggest diease so reducing its chance of survival. Still I have had a longer run of keeping a villosa than I expected in 1998!

Bill

NOOOOOO!!!!! :( Such a beautiful plant... I hope it makes a quick recovery and roots for you. Your cuttings will still be larger than any home grown villosa I've ever seen. Good luck!

I hope you spread some of those cuttings to people who know how to grow it. Thanks for the update.

NOOOOOOOOOO! What happened?

:cry:What went wrong?!?

What? don't give up man. maybe there is some salvageable material there. all you need for a cutting is one or two nodes. they can't all be dead.

Nooooooo!!! Oh god that is awful.

I was so sorry to hear of that plant's decline and had seen photos of it for years on the CPUK site. There were no salvageable cuttings at all?

It declined that quickly? I would have held onto it and given up when it looked like beef jerky. Then again, it must be very difficult to watch a plant that you have cared for all these years decline like that and feel helpless. Sorry for your loss...

Very sorry to hear about that :( Are you sure it is a goner? Unless the rot spread to all the growth nodes, then there is still a chance of recovering it as a cutting.

damn......that was quite an investment......my hat is off to you. how about TC? doesn't require the amount of genetic material to get going that a cutting does....

Thanks for everyones kind words. I fear that the whole of the plant is infected with black veining and rot running throughout the plant. I have found this with Neps before where they can be very slow in dieing and even fool you into thinking the plant is ok or has pulled through. But the infection is spreading through the plant and finally it reaches a tipping point and the whole plant collapses in what seems a very short time. Its always an impossible decision as to when to cut a plant up. Now I wish I had done so in October- though its hard to tell whether villosa is one of those neps that takes to rooting or not. But better to try when the plant is as healthy as possible. Even in August the stem was starting to wrinkle (not black at that point) and the top leaf was curled. But as the next leaf was ok and after repotting the growing point started to emerge and grow I had hoped all might be well.

I think the roots must have been rotting longer than I thought- though the original compost was still nice and open and had not broken down as LFS sometimes can. And I did tend to keep it along with my other neps on the drier but not dry side. I still think there is "luck" when growing perhaps difficult plants and they do well. And my luck had run out!!

bill

I'm so sorry this happened.:(

Back