What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finding ants

My area used to be abundant with ants but now with the addition of new subdivisions and the like on my street, more rich-*** snobs are using more ant deterrents, and I believe as a result that the ants are disappearing. This happens to be hindering my current project, building an ant farm out of a 10 gallon tank, some grass and dirt, and some ants. So how do I go about finding ants? Thanks for any help you give me.

Come to Florida. I have more than enough in my yard!

LOL yeah, I used to be able to find them anywhere. Feh. I also need the ant hill itself, because I need the queen ant. I think I'm going to order ants for now from the internet and find my queen ant and her colony once the ordered ants die off.

wait until a mating flight, you wont be finding many ants at this time of year... I usually find tetramorium queens in pools and a lot end up mated. I recently let go a colony I started awhile back, living me with none but they are pretty fun.

I used to want to have a ant colony when I was a kid I got those ant farms hoping I'd get a queen one day I didn't knew they just sent the workers.. :-))

Goodluck with your project hope it goes well.

its illegal to ship live ant queens

My roommate left lots of candy wrappers around the house and I ended up with an ant colony nesting inside a box in my kitchen! I still have it - emptied it out except for the plastic carton thing they were laying eggs on and now it lives with my highland Neps. They're still going strong like three months later - I've fed them sugar or honey a few times, but for the most part they just subsist. I doubt that method would work for you (or be acceptable for your parents :p) but I can say that having them around is pretty neat. I don't know if it makes a difference, but the box was full of those individually-packaged bottles of Chinese ginseng extract. :D
~Joe

its illegal to ship live ant queens
Yeah I know that now that I'm older, but when I was 5 or 6 I didn't think much about that type of stuff...

lol, ok. Not many adults are aware of that law either.

Back