What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally… pictures!!! (Picture heavy)

joossa

Aklys
Hi everyone. :) I had to take some pictures for my speech class, so I used my old 35mm camera (since I don’t have a digital one). I took the opportunity to take some pictures of my plants and other “things”. They came out a bit too bright, and the camera has an auto focus feature, so I couldn’t take pictures of the plants up close (or they would have come out too blurry).

Here they are. Enjoy!

The hills a bit south from where I live. I love this place!
15.jpg

An unknown plant found in the same area^…
14.jpg

Sunset in the high desert.
13.jpg

A visitor making his/her home in my back yard.
16.jpg

Lucy. She protects my house from strangers.
19.jpg

18.jpg

Snap Dragon seedlings on my windowsill (Soon to be moved outside). Thanks Niki!
17.jpg

D. filliformis var. tracyi (these were the best two pictures).
f2.jpg

f1.jpg

S. purpurea ssp. purpurea X purpurea ssp. venosa. You can see the two new, bigger, and well shaped pitchers.
p3.jpg

p4.jpg

My biggest pot containing ‘Big Mouth’ on the top and ‘Fine Tooth X Red’ on the bottom.
ftx5.jpg

My two Red Dragons. The one on the left is a very young division.
rd7.jpg

My first VFT. It almost died last year in my fish bowl terrarium. I put it through dormancy and now it has recovered and is my biggest typical.
t8.jpg

Same typical^ on the left and my ‘Dente’ on the right.
td9.jpg

Some more typicals. The ones from Lowes on the left and my 2yr old typical on the right.
lt11.jpg

And finally, the fortress as Herenorthere called it. Who says one cannot grow CP’s out in the open desert, huh? :)
f12.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy the pictures.

Nice! You have a lot of great plants there. I liked the sunset pic. :)

AWESOME! Have you ever seen those disapearing Desert Mantids?

Nice! Lucy is adorable! Your snap dragons are looking great, too! Did cross any of the plants shown yourself?

xvart.

Thanks for posting the fortress photo. I didn't understand how you used chicken wire plus wire fence. Now I do. Mine will be sort of like that, but about 5 ft up in the air on top of a fence. Instead of using the heavier wire, I'm thinking of making a light wooden frame that I can put up in the spring and remove in the fall.

Thanks for the comments.:-O

AWESOME! Have you ever seen those disapearing Desert Mantids?
No, I haven't. I have only found I. oratoria and another unknown species. BTW, I took pictures of some ant mounds, but they didn't come out that well, so I didn't post them.

Nice! Lucy is adorable! Your snap dragons are looking great, too! Did cross any of the plants shown yourself?

xvart.
No they are all from TC or divisions. The S. purp hybrid was grown from seed, but I did not grow it from seed myself.

Thanks for posting the fortress photo. I didn't understand how you used chicken wire plus wire fence. Now I do. Mine will be sort of like that, but about 5 ft up in the air on top of a fence. Instead of using the heavier wire, I'm thinking of making a light wooden frame that I can put up in the spring and remove in the fall.
I use the fence wire as a "skeletion"; mainly for support because the guage of the wire is so thick. Since the spaces in the fence wire are so big, I use the chicken wire over the fence wire. The base is made out of wood and has slits that allows the fence wire to slip in, this allows me remove both of the fence covers for easy access to the plants. Good luck with your project; let us know how it goes!

I <3 the desert SO much. If you've ever got desert flora/fauna pics to unload here, don't hesitate. ;)

Very nice pictures, but what did those poor VFTs do to get locked up in the big house? :p Dang critters, I take it?

I like the plastic you have over the trays to cut down evaporation. Is that anything special? How is it attached to the trays - with tape?

I love ur chicken wire. And your filiformis of course.

I <3 the desert SO much. If you've ever got desert flora/fauna pics to unload here, don't hesitate. ;)

Very nice pictures, but what did those poor VFTs do to get locked up in the big house? :p Dang critters, I take it?
Yes, ground squirrels and birds.:nono: I have had only one uprooting incident, and I am not taking my chances on another. The plants don’t seem to mind. :)

I like the plastic you have over the trays to cut down evaporation. Is that anything special? How is it attached to the trays - with tape?
Nope, nothing special. Just plastic wrap form the grocery store. I pull it over the small plastic tubs and attach it with masking tape on the sides. Then I hold the designated pot over the plastic and make a rough outline of the pot’s base with an exacto knife. Then I cut out the hole and place the pot inside. Unfortunately, it only “fully” worked with the Lowe’s + Typical tub (as you can see in the picture). The pots in the other tubs were too big, and the plastic in between the pots was too thin and tore, but the sides remained intact. I use it mainly to cut down on evaporation and to keep out the desert sand on windy days.

Back