What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Field trip to another Nep Grower's (Lotsa Pics Thread!!)

No problem, thanks again for the nudge ;)

Oh yeah it did seem more humid around his plants because he has them strung up all over the place in his yard, which isn't too big (it's overrun by neps and tortoises :p) so it keeps the moisture in. I got to his place around 11:30 in the morning and stayed til about 2 in the afternoon, and his plants were still sorta wet from the morning hosing-over.

He says he hoses over them to spray them down once a day just enough to get the leaves and top of the pots moist...you can see that in some of the shots that have the top of potting mix in them that he has some nice moss growing like this one:
PA160121.jpg

He says his mix is a peat/pumice sandwich with lfs on top and bottom of the pot. It seems to me that it's more like peaty-lfs with a handful of pumice thrown in...I get the feeling that his plants are actually just growing in straight-up grass roots XD. It probably helps to shade them a little too actually...and with all the field reports of the new thai species all growing in mounds of grass, it's probably the preferred habitat of a lot of them. His maintanence to his own admission is a lack-there-of (all the grass :-))), kind of a trial by fire: if it survives outside under his care, it stays. If it doesn't well...then he doesn't have that plant.

Oh, and I'm kinda sad that I didn't get a pic of his whole yard because I'm sure that'd help you, but maybe next time ...

Man. That is the most beautiful garden I have ever seen. It pretty much embodies the fantasy garden I've had in my mind for years. I LOVE how over grown everything is. And the variety of species is just absolutely mind blowing! Give that back yard a hundred years of growing and flowering and those plants will all breed into one mega Nepenthes who's gene pool is made up of every Nepenthes ever!

Those plants are amazing!!!!!!

Does he get many spontanious nep seedlings from stuff flowering without him noticing it ?

Man. That is the most beautiful garden I have ever seen. It pretty much embodies the fantasy garden I've had in my mind for years. I LOVE how over grown everything is. And the variety of species is just absolutely mind blowing! Give that back yard a hundred years of growing and flowering and those plants will all breed into one mega Nepenthes who's gene pool is made up of every Nepenthes ever!

I know, I thought about it too. If that were my yard, I'd have no use for a house!

Those plants are amazing!!!!!!

:drool: ya

Does he get many spontanious nep seedlings from stuff flowering without him noticing it ?

I don't think so because the ground that they're falling on is regular dirt so I'd think the ferts in that would inhibit that happening - also I don't think his ground is like, moist and mossy like sam's out in hawaii. I didn't see any in any pots when I was walking around either..

When I dream.....I see stuff like this, absolutely unbelievable......:0o:

That had to be like a little slice of heaven! Thanks for sharing your good fortune with the rest of us!

Wonderful! That inermis so beautiful.....

Simply incredible, I remember stumbling upon his website when I was researching for a science project. If it wasn't for him I would have ended up growing potatoes.

Back