What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fickleness of some petiolaris drosera

two plants, same species, the one on the left is currently emerging out of dormancy, and the one on the right is starting to enter it...
truth be told, i thought i almost lost the one waking up; it's dormancy pattern is different from the other petiolaris in my collection- namely, the plant just aborts the growth point altogether, and the remaining leaves slowly die off, one by one....

drosera cadauca
_MG_6857.png

How weird. The petiolaris complex is really cool. I got my first petiolaris complex plant only a couple of months ago (D. paradoxa) but can tell I am going to be hooked.
Any idea why this behavior is being observed? I wonder what triggers dormancy in this species.

Thanks for posting! I look forward to hearing more.

How weird. The petiolaris complex is really cool. I got my first petiolaris complex plant only a couple of months ago (D. paradoxa) but can tell I am going to be hooked.
Any idea why this behavior is being observed? I wonder what triggers dormancy in this species.

Thanks for posting! I look forward to hearing more.

for most species, it is triggered by a sustained drop in temperature (below 70). However cauduca seems to be physiologically cyclical.
Dormancy-->short leaves with traps-->long leaves with traps-->long leaves with no traps-->dormancy.

dormancy period varies from species to species- with paradoxa being 2-4 weeks long to falconeri which can be as long as 6 months.

i've been growing some of them for almost 4 years. some faithfully enter dormancy yearly, but others, such as my falconeri, have never gone dormant.

Last edited:
'Sounds like D. caduca is very insistent on going dormant. I haven't grown that one but I avoid dormancy in my petiolaris 'dews like the plague when I can. I understand there are growers who encourage dormancy yearly but I find the little monsters to be hard to wake up sometimes. 'Absolutely beautiful plants, though.

Back