What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feeding Hungry Tarantulas

Poecilotheria miranda

100_7172.jpg

100_7173.jpg

100_7177.jpg

100_7176.jpg

100_7175.jpg

Poecilotheria rufilata

100_7162.jpg

100_7163.jpg

100_7164.jpg

Chilobrachys fimbriatus male

100_7161.jpg

Chilobrachys fimbriatus female

100_7166.jpg

100_7165.jpg

100_7171.jpg

100_7167.jpg

My spider senses are tingling!!

What no Poecilotheria metallica? ;)

What no Poecilotheria metallica? ;)

my last house was broken into about 2 years ago, my juvenile female P.metallica was among the list of tarantulas stolen. Haven't been able to afford another since.. :-(
I was able to get another sub-adult female P. tigrinawesseli though!! Just no pics of her today..

Yeah I like the tigrinawesseli as well...

Great looking spiders. Those photos make me miss my pokies.

Just a stupid question - I didn't know tarantulas make webs? I thought they always catch their food?

Just a stupid question - I didn't know tarantulas make webs? I thought they always catch their food?

They make webs for their homes, and typically they just wait for a meal to come by and then nab it, they don't use the webs to tangle prey like trues do, but they use it to make their home.

They make webs for their homes, and typically they just wait for a meal to come by and then nab it, they don't use the webs to tangle prey like trues do, but they use it to make their home.

Not entirely true.. but close enough. It's actually used for both. It'd be like decorating your house to make an alarm for dinner time. It's basically an early warning system. Since tarantulas are pretty much blind regardless of their numerous eyes, they rely solely on vibration to sense movement. The webs make it easier for them to pick up on any incoming predators, and prey.

BTW, Tamika.. who are you and where did you come from. Can't say I've ever seen that avatar around here. PRETTY sure I'd remember! :lol:

Back