What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elephant self portrait.

• Thread starter thbjr
  • Start date

thbjr

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap
This is unbelievable,

watch

From the extended details, the version without the "created using an unauthorized version..." message can be found here.

Wow. A little "Blair Witch-ish" but that is really cool. Great style!

xvart.

Wow, really awesome. I love how long the legs are, Great style indeed.

That is clearly a fake. The elephants at the beginning are Asian elephants. But when he draws himself he draws an African Elephant.

That is clearly a fake. The elephants at the beginning are Asian elephants. But when he draws himself he draws an African Elephant.

Yeah, and it clearly isn't a self portrait since he draws an elephant with a flower, when in actuality he's holding a paintbrush... Something fishy is going on here...

xvart.

All successful artists are trained, so what's your point Nep AK?

By the way, if an elephant had been looking over Da Vinci's shoulder at the time (do we really know one wasn't?), might it think the Mona Lisa was a self portrait. Maybe we all look alike to them.

Can't you see it's a mans arm in a fake elephants trunk?

:-))

look how he controls this elephant by its tusks

All successful artists are trained, so what's your point Nep AK?

I believe the point was to emphasize that the video where the guy is guiding the elephant is showing how the elephant is trained rather than what is happening off-camera in the original poster's video. IE, the elephant in the original video is painting without guidance.

They are trained to paint the SAME PICTURE! or a few different ones. Meaning they don't come up with their own.

lol after the first 2 legs, I thought he was drawing an anatomically correct portrait at first.

As for the training thing, there's a school of thought that says everyone's ability to express themselves is contaminated by what they've learned. Someone once explained it to me, or at least a little of it and, taken to the extreme, which I guess some people do, there's little difference between the average painter and the average painting elephant. Other than a lot of weight and which appendage grips the brush. Which reminds me, I thought the same thing as PK. That doesn't happen very often.

The elephant is walking at an angle in the picture or atleast it looks that way to me.

interesting!
but the elephants are taught what to paint,
and they are"guided"..

I doubt they have any thoughts like "hey..that looks like me"..
and they certaintly arent drawing those "self portraits" all on their own..
if left to their own devices, it would just be a bunch of random lines..

yes, elephants are intelligent, but not quite THAT intelligent..
the video is quite misleading as to what is actually going on.
elephants dont actually paint self-portraits, all by themselves, using only
their own thought processes and artistic talent. ;)
I doubt they are actually aware of what they are painting.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/elephantpainting.asp

Scot

Doesn't matter if the elephant is trained to do it or if it knows it is actually drawing a picture of itself. To me, it's impressive either way.

Doesn't matter if the elephant is trained to do it or if it knows it is actually drawing a picture of itself. To me, it's impressive either way.

hmmm..I guess.
I dont find it all that impressive really.
an elephant could also use its trunk to wave a baton around and conduct an orchestra!
but that wouldnt be terribly impressive either! ;)

Scot

Back