What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edwardsiana

Good question. I would have said the eddie for sure, but I just looked at Wistuba's site and I don't see them(unless it's one of the N. macrophylla clones by mistake).

Cheers,

Joe

Wistuba doesn't sell edwardsiana... or are you talking about something else?

-D. Lybrand

hes talking about N. x Trusmadiensis i think. However Joe i read that an exotica auction had a TM up for grabs....at mid-auction the price was like $1,300. that just shows how much it was wanted!

I was talking trusmadiensis. One of his macrophylla clones turned out to be that hybrid. I guess I thought he would have it on his site as such, by now.
The Exotica auction was for a decent sized plant, and it sold for 1300 AU, right?

Cheers,

Joe

So Wistuba has Trusmadiensis in tissue culture?? Woohoo!!!

Well, he did at one time. Last I knew he had two clones of macrophylla and one turned out to be this hybrid. I think several people ordered the two clone set and got one of these by surprise. I am just going by meomory on this. This was happening years ago.

Cheers,

Joe

ya it was in AU$ do you know how much the final price was? and who won it?

*faints*

[b said:
Quote[/b] (srduggins @ Mar. 11 2006,2:44)]So Wistuba has Trusmadiensis in tissue culture?? Woohoo!!!
I don`t think, its really a N. x trusmadiensis, but the form of the pitcher and the peristrom, looks a little bit different from the other N. macrophylla clones.

Pitcher:
macro_2%20Kopie.jpg

Peristrom:
macro_4%20Kopie.jpg

Cheers,
Dominik

it doesnt look like TM to me....TM has a way more elongated rim similar to lowii

The teeth seem much reduced compared to other macrophyllas. How old is the plant?

-D. Lybrand

This is most probably Trusmadiensis. Macrophylla has a unruffled peristome, the teeth are prominent and the peristome is even. This clone of Wistuba's has a distinct ruffled peristome, which is an indication of some hybrid parentage. Whether it is Trusmadiensis, or a back-cross of Trusmadiensis with macrophylla won't be clear until this clone starts producing uppers, but I'd put money on it being a hybrid.

If you go to Exotica's website, the picture of macrophylla they have in their species section in the sales part actually turned out to be Trusmadiensis, in fact the same Trusmadiensis they've made their hybrids from, which they sold the $1,800 basal shoot cutting from.

hey SydneyNeps, how did you get the edwardsisana that you have? some others as well such as the klossii, mollis, lamii if you went throgh any troubles...

Not a topic I'll discuss publicly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Not a topic I'll discuss publicly.
cool.gif

just mabe me think all about the posts you made on this thread. i bet you got all this when you got those rare plant...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Why is it that we always accuse others of poaching at the first sign of a rare species on the market? ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] ...Just as long as you all realise that they are from illegally collected material. Edwardsiana is in a part of the National Park where it is illegal to enter without a permit, and illegal to collect....

...The hybrid you mention was actually from a collection of burbidgeae seed, so it's burbidgeae x edwardsiana. As to why Malesiana has and hasn't done various things is a long and torturous story. Needless to say Malesiana could have done much with Nepenthes, but it decided to move away from Nepenthes and focus on gingers and aroids. Their Nepenthes business at present is basically a 'legacy' business, sales from existing stock and TC lines, and no new development is being done. It is a pity as they are the only nursery with N. klossii in cultivation. There are other rare cultivars they have of common species which deserve propagation, but again, nothing will come of it.

I am aware of a move to seek a permit to collect edwardsiana seed by a botanical garden, so it may succeed purely on the basis that the seedlings will be distributed amongst botanical gardens and not private collectors. I know an individual who is lobbying for a permit, but he does not expect to be successful, he'll probably end up with a permit to enter to take photos....

but thats cool man, respect that.

You assume too much. The edwardsiana is not mine, it's one of MT's, so it's one of the few legal ones in cultivation. I don't want to publicly disclose where I got some of my rarer (and legal) plants, because those whom I got them from don't want to be bombarded with "can I, can I, can I" requests from hordes of growers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SydneyNeps @ Mar. 24 2006,1:29)]You assume too much. The edwardsiana is not mine, it's one of MT's, so it's one of the few legal ones in cultivation. I don't want to publicly disclose where I got some of my rarer (and legal) plants, because those whom I got them from don't want to be bombarded with "can I, can I, can I" requests from hordes of growers.
not assuming just thinking outloud. i really just wanted to know about the other plants if you have to go to any other troubles such as permit or what not like the edwardsiana...

Back