What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

East or west?

I'm running out of room in my terrariums, and I have some windows available for plants. The only thing is that my south facing windows are blocked by a large silver maple, and a grove of pine trees about as tall as my house. So, I was wondering if an east facing windowsill in my room or a west facing window in another part of my house would suffice for some south-african dews?

Many thanks,
-Ben

West is the best!

Or east.  If I had to choose between morning sun and afternoon sun for plants when they're outdoors, I'd choose the morning (east exposure).  The plants have less chance of water stress during the best light.  But outdoors isn't the same as a window.  West windows have a reputation for better light, but I don't know why.  Unless you're somewhere prone to morning fog/clouds or get up late and the curtains stay closed through half the morning.

My windows all face east and west. I find that in the summer months, the sun has gone off of the east windows by about 11 am, whereas the west windows are in sunshine from about lunchtime until the sun goes down late in the evening, so I prefer to use the west windows unless the plants are the sort that don't like direct sun anyway.

I was planning on putting all of my Sarracenia onto some ground that is in a southern-facing area in my yard, since they loath light. I know that D. rotudifolia may live with S. purpurea ssp. purpurea in the wild, so does that mean they would enjoy a full blast of west sun, or a shaded east/south balcony position? I was thinking of putting them on the balcony with the east/south facing sun, because I had a Euphorbia (cactus) flower in that position, and it has never flowered before for me, which I would assume that it likes it there, and since cacti need light to do well, I think a D. rotundifolia would do nicely there (like what herenorthere said). What do you think?

-Ben

These are sun lovers, so west is the best!

Back