What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Earthquake Today!

• Thread starter Maxx
  • Start date

Maxx

Someday is not a day of the week.
There was just a 5.8 earthquake that hit Southern California. My house started rolling side to side and from outside we could hear the house creaking. Who else experienced this? It was kinda fun actually.

-Max

I felt it. It was rather relaxing when compared to others that I've experienced.

Everyone at work is talking about it. Happenings like this make "certain" people feel alive and almost give them a reality check. Yes, we're all standing on a big, segmented rock that has plates moving...:rolleyes:

i felt it too, i was in school.

Good ol' California.

A 5.8 (or 5.6 or whatever it's been downgraded to) is a fairly routine occurrence. Exciting/surprising/scary, but a 5.X in California isn't as big of a deal as in less-prepared areas. We're built for this... to an extent. ;)

i just hate them!!!!!!!!!!

It.

Was.

Awesome!

I dont think I could take that..
maybe if you live there your whole life, you just learn to accept it..
but it would make me too nervous..

here in Western NY, our only major natural disasters are a good ice storm or serious blizzard once or twice a decade..taking out all the power lines for a few days.

no earthquakes
no tornados
no hurricanes
no floods
no fires

I'll take the snow! ;)

stay safe Californians!

Scot

Kinda scary, I was fairly close to the epicenter, my house is even closer to it. Pretty violent shaking, but didn't last long. Watching the news, looks like the earthquake didn't do much damage at all. Must of been great fun for all that have never experienced one.

i felt it while looking at Amorphophalluses! it was kinda funny, the stinky flowers were swaying all over the place...even funnier if you knwo what the latin name means! :D

some of my plants actually moved too. I think its a 5.4 now btw.

They may have the earthquakes but we have to deal with the tsunami that's going to come at us after that island in the Canary Islands collapses haha. Also we do have occasional hurricanes don't forget about that!

Haven't ever experienced an earthquake personally; not too sure I'm that eager to.

Yeah, the news kept going on about all this earthquake stuff, and then a caller says, "Umm, there really was no damage."

I was in a plant nursery. The entrance is a big sliding garage door and it was held open. I saw the whole structure shake (the nursery is wooden) and I thought that someone was having a hard time closing the garage door down.

I come in and see a bunch of old ladies huddle under the door way (Theyw ere so cute, lol)

well, some vases broke, I saw a few bottles break open and spill liquid and shelves fell over but that was it.

yeah ive been feeling quite a few small ones here in washington...kinda bugging me, anticipating a rather large one...you know?
i lived in Florida for 14 years, i am no stranger to hurricanes and tornadoes or any of that, however...
i was here in for the 6.8 or w.e earthquake back a few years ago, scared the living hell out of me, more so than tornadoes and hurricanes ever have

I was home sick watching CNN when it came on the news. Got downgraded to 5.4 but that's still some shaking. We had a 4.3 or something like that a couple of years ago. It was cool! That's the strongest one I've ever felt. There was the first rumble...I thought it was a truck going by...then the second wobble which you KNEW was an earthquake...you could feel the entire building shaking. Thankfully there was little damage in the area. The epicenter was 26 miles away. I love natural events like that but obviously I would never want people hurt or damage.

Glad to know all the Cali's are fine. :) I thought about y'all.

Good ol' California.

A 5.8 (or 5.6 or whatever it's been downgraded to) is a fairly routine occurrence. Exciting/surprising/scary, but a 5.X in California isn't as big of a deal as in less-prepared areas. We're built for this... to an extent. ;)

Yeah . . .

I was in Santa Cruz for Loma Prieta Earthquake in 1989, taking classes at Cabrillo and at Uncle Charlie's when it hit. I had just stocked the incubator with dozens of cultures for a microbiology class (don't you just love those campus jobs?) and was grabbing some coffee. The direction of the quake threw the doors to the incubator open and petri dishes were flung like frisbees across the entire lab -- less than ten minutes after I left. Guys in serious biohazard suits did the clean up and we weren't back in class for about two weeks.

Also, a house I had considered renting with a girlfriend in the downtown exploded from a gas leak; there was nothing left but the foundation and shards of wood about the size of pencils.

Dodged another bullet.

Should have wisely invested in Lotto back then . . .

I was in Santa Cruz for Loma Prieta Earthquake in 1989, taking classes at Cabrillo and at Uncle Charlie's when it hit.

What a coincidence! My family had pretty much just moved to Aptos (Santa Cruz County; between SC City and Watsonville) from Germany when the quake hit. Considering the fact that Cabrillo is pretty much in Nisene Marks in which the quake originated, I'm not surprised about the frisbee effect! lol

Actually, I'm going to Cabrillo College now. Gonna be taking a Micro Bio and O-chem class next semester, so if we get another one of those big quakes any time soon, I imagine that I'll have an experience similar to yours (haz-mat suits and all.) haha

Yeah, the news kept going on about all this earthquake stuff, and then a caller says, "Umm, there really was no damage."

A slow news day will blow these things out of proportion. For areas of the country not used to earthquakes and/or the Richter Scale, I'm sure that it could all be made out to be rather scary.

I was actually surprised at the repeated showings of a few dishes on the floor and a minor water main leak that occupied hours of CNN reporting. I'm sure the people in Peru who were hit with a devastating 8.0 quake earlier in the year would be scratching their heads over that.

The LA quake even pushed out the breaking news of the indictment of the Alaska Senator on perjury charges that really should have been bribery charges.

i died in that earthquake.*sarcasm*

Back