What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dying sprouts

I have two fly traps right next to each other in 2 different pots of 50/50 peat and sand mix. I keep them in a tray of water 1/2" deep and just fill the tray when it drys out.

the other plant is fine and this one seemed fine until I looked at it today and noticed that one of the new growths has turned black... why?

any thoughts?

100_1904.jpg

100_1905.jpg

And for those interested here is a 3 day history of temps and rel humidity

graphob.php

Last edited:
Hmm... Maybe the sun was a bit too hot that day, and the soil too dry, nothing to worry about though.

Judging by your earlier posts, I think it is a bit sunburned because it was moved into full sun too quickly. Keep the soil moist and it will recover.

In case you are wondering, humidity isn't too much of a concern... there are people who grow flytraps in 15% humidity.

This happens occasionally to some of my plants which receive the lion's share of direct sun. I would agree that sunburn is the most likely cause. Provide a bit of shading for a bit and see if that helps . . .

Awesome thanks. I know that the majority of the "damage" is due to the harsh sun but this one was brand new and I thought it would be able to take the sun. I will move them to a shadier location.

As to the graph with humidity/temp... I was under the impression that humidity had to be high, but as a matter of practice I like to give as much information as I can... Just seems to make things flow more smoothly...

Humidity has turned out to be a much more minor issue with Dionaea, than many other genera, such as some Nepenthes, which will fail to pitcher or "suddenly" wilt under drier conditions . . .

I just want to make sure that everyone is on the right page... I am referring to the new growth that is (unfortunately) blurred in the picture. I know that the larger (old indoor) growth is sunburned.

Back