What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dum dum duuuum - Trying to find my first REAL job!

Everybody follows their own path and makes decisions for their own reasons. That's why we're not all accountants. Like Jim said, when you look back years later, you'll realize how many momentous events were trivial at the time.

Funny thing about life, alluded to by by Bruce is that the simplest of momentary decisons can radically change the course of your life.

I was planning to go back home (Long Island) and live with my parents and look for a job, there. But I got a call, while still at college, from my best friend (later bestman) and he invited me to share an apartment with him in Albany. That led to a civil service exam that led to a job offer in Buffalo that led to meeting my wife....

Even more scary was my choice of majors. My mom was encouraging me to major in Math or Accounting. In 11th grade, when the school was setting up career appointments ith the guidance counselors, the guy asked me what I like to do. At the time my hobby was tropical fish. The next thing I knew I was taking AP Bio and Marine Biology in 12 th grade. And then, at freshman orientation, through a buddy of mine, I met a girl that was going to be an Environmental Science major. Next thing I knew I was signing up for Intro to Env Sci and Env Chem. While that girl changed her major a couple times I added another useless major - Economics. Never could do anything with Economics.

Who knows... maybe would have ended up in some lab anyway, seeing as how these labs seem to be the repository of Env Sci, biology, Chem majors. The point being that a chance conversation.... the chance meeting..... the quick decision... can have a significant impact upon the course of one's life.

Hey... "how 'bout dem Cowboys!"

Wonderful insight, Jim. I can really relate to what you're talking about, in the sense that I'm realizing that every decision I make, big or small, has a profound effect on my life. For the longest time I was under the impression that what I did in the present was of minimal importance. Procrastination is an old friend of mine, and recently I've made major efforts to eliminate its dominance over my successes (and failures). My epiphany can be defined as a revelation of sorts, one that allows me to view hard work as a means to a positive and subsequently fulfilling end. In essence, I'm starting to pay attention to my life, something I haven't been doing up until this point. I want to be ready for those "quick decisions" and "chance meetings" that may get me to where I want to go.

I want to thank everyone who has posted in my thread so far. You've all been very helpful and I encourage you to continue talking!

Just thought I'd give an update on my job search. So far I've been contacted by several companies offering sales positions, which I'm not particularly interested in but will keep in mind in case I can't find anything else.

What's most exciting is that I applied to be an administrative assistant at the San Diego Zoo. It pays decently and would be something to get my foot in the door, so I'll keep my fingers crossed!

And the search continues...

What's most exciting is that I applied to be an administrative assistant at the San Diego Zoo. It pays decently and would be something to get my foot in the door, so I'll keep my fingers crossed!

That's great. Keep us posted. I went to the San Diego zoo once, but it was raining and a terrible day outside, and I had the mumps... I've heard it's awesome on better circumstances.

That's why we're not all accountants.

But what if we all were accountants?! :eek:

xvart.

Back