What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Spathulata or not?

Looks more like D. ×tokaiensis than D. spatulata to me.

I agree.

really sweet well in that case i dont own a spathulata noooooo ok cool thanks guys i will inform the two people i have given some too

Just to help you get your nomenclature correct, its Drosera spatulata, not spathulata. The latter refers to a Nepenthes species. The two Latin terms are often, but erroneously, switched. ;-)

oh ok thanks whim i thought i saw both now i know why do you agree with the others though as far as what the dews in the pic are

Round leaf blade. No tentacles on petiole. very reduced stipule. Vs D. capillaris. That can still see stipule hairs easily.

I don't have a clear opinion on their ID: to be honest spatulata and Tokaiensis look mightily similar. I'm sure experts with more experience with the genus can tell the difference, but Drosera are represented by only a few species/cultivars in my greenhouse. I'll defer to other opinions.

I don't have a clear opinion on their ID: to be honest spatulata and Tokaiensis look mightily similar. I'm sure experts with more experience with the genus can tell the difference, but Drosera are represented by only a few species/cultivars in my greenhouse. I'll defer to other opinions.

A lot of the confusion is a result of many of the "spatulata" in cultivation being tokaiensis. Tokaiensis is also probably one of the more easily grown and very, very fecund/weedy members of the spatulata group. So it tends to be very common. Then others are the forms currently in TC that are sold commercially. Also from what I have seen depending on the growing conditions it may appear more like spatulata or more like rotundifolia on others.

Just to help you get your nomenclature correct, its Drosera spatulata, not spathulata. The latter refers to a Nepenthes species. The two Latin terms are often, but erroneously, switched. ;-)

thanks! I've always thought it was spatulata, but i've seen it spelled the other way and was therefor never sure.

Back