What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Regia Sun requirement question

Can I grow my Drosera Regia out in full unobstructed sun?

There has been two to three days of 90 or 95 in the past two weeks.

Here's the recent weather but it def will get hotter in August

Thanks!

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-03%20at%2011.28.25%20AM_zpsr0ozqhmm.png

Outside? Maybe. Full sun? Probably not. I'm in WI and mine seems to prefers some shade. Unfortunately, the best I can do still gives it 6 hrs + of sun but I'm sure it would prefer less.

Mine does not seem to like being in full sun plus we are having a heat wave, but it does okay with full sun until around noon and cooler temperatures. Right now it is in the garage window and getting sun most of the day with high temps and has shut down leaf production, but I don't have anywhere else to put it at the moment so that it gets partial shade with enough sun. When I had one growing outside shaded partially by other plants it seemed to do really well regardless of the temps (night temps outside were cooler than in the house), so perhaps you could set something up like that?

I've grown mine outside in close to full sun since last August and it hasn't stopped growing. I am using a terracotta pot that is two feet wide.

DSC_0640.jpg

I've grown mine outside in close to full sun since last August and it hasn't stopped growing. I am using a terracotta pot that is two feet wide.

Nice! Ah, terra cotta pot, that makes sense with its cooling properties plus lots of room for root growth. Maybe I will try that with mine when I repot it next spring and put it outside, thanx for the info. What is your soil mix for that pot?

Nice! Ah, terra cotta pot, that makes sense with its cooling properties plus lots of room for root growth. Maybe I will try that with mine when I repot it next spring and put it outside, thanx for the info. What is your soil mix for that pot?

It is equal parts peat, perlite, and orchid bark. I used the exact same setup for my Darlingtonia and it worked well until root rot got to it.

Back