What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera peltata

...does it take for these plants to start climbing? My seedlings are probably around a month and a half old, and they're still just small rosettes. When will they create their stems?

I don't think they begin to create their stems until the second year. I may be wrong though. I'll ask my friend, he has some auriculata that are over a year old now and auriculata is almost identical to peltata. Auriculata used to be a subspecies of peltata actually. My auriculata just recently germinated a few days ago so I myself don't know for sure. I'll let you know what he says... or I'll just tell him to post it himself. Lol.

-(Kyle)-

All I can tell you is my D. peltata went the first year without climbing. I have to wait until it starts to grow again to know if it will climb in the second year.

Mine was doing fine until this summer, growing upright. Then they disappeared. I'm expecting / hoping for a return, but......  
confused.gif

They die down to the tubers when it gets too hot, it's completely normal, they should pop up sometime soon. If they don't then you should dump the pot out and look for the tubers to make sure they are still alive.

-(Kyle)-

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Nov. 24 2005,2:16)]Hey Jim: Were your plants in their second year?
Yes.

I have a batch in its second year that still in the rosette only stage. I did lift the tubers after last season and they were much smaller than I expected- about 1/8" dia.
I must have had a weak (short) growing season last year.

Brian

Back