What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera paradoxa flowers

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
Drosera paradoxa flowers are very ephemeral. I was fortunate to be home midday when they seem to bloom and caught these two. One of them (1st photo) was actually withering away as I was setting up the shots.

04380023.jpg

04380022.jpg

04380020.jpg

04380021.jpg

04360001.jpg

04360002.jpg

04360005.jpg

04360007.jpg

Warren, many of my petiolaris group are in flower now too, and they are similar to yours. I usually notice them only on weekends when i'm home!! they seem to open with the sun around 11am-3pm. They do seem to vary in color a bit, ranging from white to pink. I've tried cross pollinating many of the flowers but to no avail--no seeds!!
Oh well....
Peter

Yes, it's strange. Looking at the flower structure of the D. paradoxa it looks like they are designed to self-pollinate on closure, but apparently they need pollen from genetically different clones.

How they reproduce in the wild is a mystery to me unless the pollenator is a very active and aggressive feeder.

Nice closeups!

I've tried cross pollinating many of the flowers but to no avail--no seeds!! Oh well....
Peter
That's unusual. The only one that sometimes did not produce seeds for me was 'Ladle'. It frequently had deformed stigmas and little pollen. SundewMatt had the same issue and it appeared to be caused by his closed tanks, (aka: 100% humidity) keeping the pollen from becoming friable / motile.

Ahh, maybe that's my issue. I grow mine in closed tanks, so maybe the pollen is not easily applied.
Thanks for the tip!
Peter.

Back