What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera meristocaulis

[b said:
Quote[/b] (buster1 @ Nov. 30 2004,4:08)]Boy, that's one heap of elitism you're spewing there. If its not in general cultivation then I think pretty much everyone classifies as a beginner with this species and nobody is a "real expert".  I also imagine that "experts" have batches of seed that do not germinate and plants that do not grow well or do not grow at all.  I have been a grower since the early 70"s and certainly would not consider myself an expert at any of these plants. Also if you want to bring in the topic of conservation, lets not worry as much about providing plants for the masses as doing something to protect the original locations.
That's not elitism. Jan is just worried that the seed will get into the hands of those who will more than likely kill them. Considering the amount of time and effort that has been required to rediscover the species and collect seed, this would be a shame.

Of course the fact that noone has yet grown the species means that nobody is an expert, however those who have experience in growing other members of the South American group (which are not common- both the plants themselves and the growers) will undoubtedly have a greater likelihood of raising them to maturity and maintaining them. After all, they are no D. capensis or spatulata.

Good luck to all those who do manage to get their hands on some of this precious seed.

Also add that those with experience in growing CPs in-vitro will give this species more chances of becoming widespread in collections sooner.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (UtricSeb @ Dec. 02 2004,7:58)]Also add that those with experience in growing CPs in-vitro will give this species more chances of becoming widespread in collections sooner.
Thanks Sean & Seb!

That was the point. If the seeds taken from the wild are raised only by the more experienced growers, many of them will get more seeds/plants which they can share then. Because experienced growers will be more successful, the broad mass of growers can get those plants/seeds faster.

For myself I would say that I lack experience in growing South American plants and didn't want to be one of the first generation growers. But I think I am an advanced sundew grower (main interest are AU species). So it not elitism, I exclude myself...
smile_m_32.gif

Good growing,
Jan

Hi guys,

Keep in mind that D.meristocaulis is the exception to the rule... This wonderful species, although South American, is much more closely related to Australian species, resembling very much a pygmy Drosera. So who knows what it will be like in cultivation? I say you should all have a go at it!
smile_m_32.gif

Good luck,
Fernando Rivadavia

I'd love to have a go as long as there is enough seed to go around. I just don't like the thought of it being wasted before it is established in cultivation.

I'm sure that you already have given the seed to growers that will have the greatest chances of success. If and when they do manage to reproduce the plants I hope they will make every effort to make the species available to everyone.

Time to get in contact with Allen I think. I imagine the fresher the seed is, the greater the chances are of good germination.

Thanks for making the seed available Fernando and for all your efforts in rediscovering the species.

If there is a lot to go around, you may discover something new by somebody "inexperienced" doing something nobody else would think of.

Cheers,

Joe

Back