What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Lifespan?

I know some Drosera plants are annuals, but I was curious to hear from longterm CP growers about their longest-lived plants. Anyone have a Drosera that is 10+ years in age?

Drosera regia easily get well past 10 years

I kept a palm tree of a D. capensis going since 2006, when I got my first CP, until it was mauled by a squirrel this year...

Nigel Hewitt-Cooper in the Dec 2011 issue of The Carnivorous Plant Newsletter wrote that he has grown his original Drosera regia plant for 18 years. The Drosera regia plants I have are at least 7-8 years old. Some of my D. aliciae and D. venusta might be at least 8-9 years old, they through up so many offshoots or seedlings it is difficult to keep track of which are the "originals".

Nigel is a newcomer :-D. Mine are from 1988

Stewart McPherson mentions in his CPs in their hanitat that A. Lowrie estimated that some Droseras may live for 60 years or more by counting the number of papery sheaths that surround the plants' tubers.

Back