What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera falconeri

Hey all

I have been doing field trips over the past few months trying to photograph every CP in the area as I'm not sure how long I'll be here. One of the Drosera I most wanted to see was D. falconeri but it's quite picky and you can be very close, and find lots of other species, but not actually find it unless you in exactly the right location. I spent a few weekends looking without success until Natch put me in touch with someone a few weeks back, and it finally stopped raining today so I went hunting. Check it out!!!!!

dfalconeri-plant.jpg

Together with D. darwinensis (in the foreground):
dfalconeri-darwiniensis.jpg

In flower, not many flowers and the few I saw were pretty average but still...
dfalconeri-flower2.jpg

Such a cool plant.
I think I have some seed too although I harvested plenty of Nepenthes seed but never Drosera so I may need some pointers.

Cheers, Troy

Last edited:
Thanks Troy those are some beautiful pics. Keep them coming.

What a beauty!

That's sweet! So nice to see them in the wild.

If you are asking for advice germinating petiolaris sundew seed, I am still looking for someone who feels they have the secret. My latest attempt is to soak the seeds in water for 48 hours and then to soak them in GA3 (Gibberellic acid) solution for 1 hour before potting them up. We'll see...

Did you get the seed from these plants?

@ bluemax:
If you are asking for advice germinating petiolaris sundew seed...

Thanks but I don't grow any CP's myself.
I move around too much and my cultivated ones never look anywhere near as good as they do in the wild so I prefer to just look at them in situ.
Once I know I'm going to be home for good I might give them a go again and I am thinking of going Drosera this time - I've always been into Nepenthes in the past.

@ SFLguy:
Did you get the seed from these plants?

Oh yeah!
I collected maybe 20 or 30 infuctescences but I am not sure how to separate the seeds.
I posted before that I'm happy to send some to people for the cost of postage (the people that have already PM'd me get precedence) so if I can post the whole infuctescence that will make it easier. Some of them are already dark brown and dried so I don't know if they still have seed. Any advice on how to separate the seeds will be appreciated. I'm not sure about the states or Europe but Australia doesn't allow any part of the plant apart from the actual seeds through quarantine so I would have to separate the seeds if I were sending them to (and not from) Australia.

Cheers, Troy

Last edited:
Gosh that species is beautiful....
Seeds are not difficult to remove from a flower stalk, just tap it against a folded sheet of paper and the loose ones should fall out. Or, like I do, remove the dried remnants of the petals which opens up the flower and then twist the remaining bud and seed capsule (best way I can explain it at the moment) between your fingers, most if not all the seeds should fall out.

Back