What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera cistiflora

can it be grown outdoors in hardiness zone 9 during winter?

Probably not.

Although D. cistiflora is a winter grower the nighttime temperature in its habitat never gets much below 3-5c. Anything below 0c and you are risking foliage damage. You might want to try growing them outdoors and then bringing them inside on the coldest nights.

Sounds like it has similar growing conditions as pygmy sundews.

what about in a south windowsil, but not artificial light

still too cold/ too little light?

it grows tall and i'm trying to get around putting it under my lights because of the height

Last edited:
what about in a south windowsil, but not artificial light

still too cold/ too little light?

it grows tall and i'm trying to get around putting it under my lights because of the height

Drosera cistiflora doesn't get very high (maybe a little over one foot at most). Maybe you are confusing it with erect tuberous sundews which are also winter-growing, which can grow several feet high.

I don't have experience with cistiflora but a south windowsill worked fine for my tuberous Drosera macrantha.

1 foot is still pretty high in my setup
Id have to find a way to keep the t5s from burning it and find a way to get the rest of my plants up higher
last year it was a hassle, all I had were books to stack up and raise my pots higher

1 foot is still pretty high in my setup
Id have to find a way to keep the t5s from burning it and find a way to get the rest of my plants up higher
last year it was a hassle, all I had were books to stack up and raise my pots higher

If you have extra pots you could just turn them upside down to raise your other pots higher.

The get taller than that, I have one that is about 16 inches tall. I grow them outdoors all year round in Zone 10a. On the rare instance that the temperatures hit the frost level most of my Drosera come indoors.

yea, the pics looked a bit bigger than a foot. I'm far past willing to grow it under my lights
going to get a hanging plant rack for my window
thanks for the info

Back