What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capillaris & Drosera natalensis?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
100_9452.jpg

D. capillaris?

100_9451.jpg

D. natalensis?

I'd guess that the second one is Drosera burmannii. The leaves seem to be too triangular to be D. natalensis, which based on a very un-scientific google search I just did, appear more round. My $.02

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL! That's the biggest Drosera burmannii I have ever seen! But that sounds about right, now that I think of it.

Is that "Tate's Hell Swamp" D. capillaris getting around again?

Ivan's D. burmannii is maybe 1.5-2 inches across.

1" diameter is about right. Never heard of that type of Drosera capillaris. Definitely not the long arm, though.

The "Long Arm" I gave you is from Tate's Hell Swamp in Florida. It'll spread like crazy if you're not careful with the seed.

The plants in your first photo, could certainly be Drosera capillaris, though I'd recommend you examine the flowers to be certain. Your second photo is most likely Drosera burmannii, though it may possibly be Drosera sessilifolia, though my vote is for the former, rather than the latter. It is certainly not Drosera natalensis.

Warren, this doesn't look like the ones you gave me. I have Drosera capillaris from two sources. But I am convinved tha the other is Drosera burmannii

This is the 'Long Arm' variety, from a couple years ago:

Picture007-3.jpg

Last edited:
That "Long Arm" is somewhat polymorphic. In the winter the leaves are round and more decumbent (hugging the ground) with shorter petioles. Mid-late spring they grow more upright with obovate (paddle) shaped leaves. Juvenile plants are also more decumbent with round leaves and shorter petioles.

Juvenile plants - the clump I gave you came from this batch
PC070004.jpg

Same batch - area on right is where your plants came from, filled in with pups from remaining clump
01300023.jpg

Early Spring showing spring growth as well as winter form leaves
P2270032copy.jpg

Here they are just beginning to come out of the winter semi-dormancy. Mixture of mature, juvenile and seedling plants.
_IGP9497.jpg

Oh.... I see.... perhaps...

Back