What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera binata winter hardy form. How hardy?

Does anybody know how winter hardy the winter hardy form of D. binata is that is avalible from the ISCPS seed bank?

I was wondering the exact same question. I asked them but they still haven't replied.

Well at least I'm not alone in my curiosity. Please let me know if you find out anything.

Since nobody else has chimed in with firsthand knowledge, I'll add what I know...All D. binata forms (except possibly multifida) are supposed to be able to survive hard freezes. The temperate forms will form hibernaculae, while the tropical forms will die back to the roots when exposed to freezing temperatures. I've read they can survive down to 15F, but I'd be a bit wary about testing that, especially in a smaller pot.

There are forms from New Zealand that almost certainly experience temperatures below 0, but as a general rule most should be treated somewhere between subtropical and mild temperate.

I have no knowledge of the winter hardy form from ISCPS, however all the binata forms I have, get frozen every year in our UK winters in outside bogs. They generally come back from the roots fairly readily, as do the Capensis, but obviously mature later in the year. They have had temperatures down to -15C for short periods.
I have no absolute knowledge of a temperature that they can survive, as your question suggests there are different clones out there that have varying degrees of tolerance.

Cheers
Steve

Back